This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

How can I check to see if I have a valid passport?

Question: My last passport expired May of last year. I thought I had renewed it but now can't locate it. Do I need to renew or can I get a duplicate?

Answer: First of all, the State Department does not issue duplicate passports. You can apply for a passport record if you want to discover if you applied for a renewal. The fee is $150 and it takes up to six weeks.

Here is the dilemma. If you did NOT renew the passport you currently posses, then you are eligible to renew it by mail. All you need to send is completed Form DS-82, the passport, a passport photo and payment of the fee. For a complete list of requirements, click the link below.

Apply to Renew Passport

If you did renew the passport and, then, lost it, you are not eligible to renew it by mail. You need to report the lost passport by calling the National Passport Information Center and, then, appear in person to apply for a new passport. For instructions, click the link below.

Get a New Passport

Comments for How can I check to see if I have a valid passport?

Click here to add your own comments

Showing invalid number
by: Arvind

Question: Hi my name is Arvind HXXXXX KXXXX. Just two months ago I came from Saudi Arabia after completing my employment contract. Now when I am searching for new job and writing my passport number in the requirement box,
it shows 'YOUR PASSPORT NUMBER IS NOT VALIDATE'. How is this happening? My passport is valid until 2020.

Answer: We edited your name for your security.

If you were able to travel with your passport and re-enter the United States, the problem may not be the passport. Please contact the administrator of the website you are using to find out if they are having issues.

Need to know
by: Clive

Question: I don't know whether or not I have a passport.

Answer: If you have been issued a passport in the past, passport services should be able to pull up a record through a file search. The fee for this service is $150 and is non-refundable.

I can't locate my passport
by: BB

Question: I can't locate my passport and i have a cruise 29 Oct. how can I find me out if it is still valid?

Answer: Passports issued to adults are valid for 10 years. If you can remember when the passport was issued, you may be able to tell if that passport is still valid.

Having said that, you need to report the loss of your passport then apply for a new one before your trip. If you apply for expedited sevice now, you will get your new passport in 2-3 weeks.

Do I need a passport for the Bahamas?
by: Maurine

Question: I am taking a cruise to the Bahamas. Do I need a passport?

Answer: If you are taking a closed-loop cruise to The Bahamas -- one that starts in a U.S. city, travels to the Bahamas and ends in the same U.S. city, you may not need a passport. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency says this about closed loop cruises:

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents."

We recommend that you contact the cruise line you are traveling with to verify document requirements.

Valid passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I cannot find my passport and do not know the expiration date. How do I check if it is still valid?

Answer: Passports issued to citizens age 16 and above are valid for 10 years. If you remember when your passport was issued, count ten years and you get a approximate expiration year.

In case you find out that your passport is still valid, you need to report the loss by calling 1-877-487-2778 or by submitting Form DS-64.

Possible damage
by: Anonymous

Question: My passport has been in my pocket on hot days and some of the print on the front cover has faded slightly. All pages are in tact, as are the covers. wondering how to tell if it's been in too much heat or bent too much to be considered invalid.

Answer: What constitutes significant damage is ultimately decided by the officer who inspects your passport at ports of entry/exit. We recommend consulting an airline you have flown with in the past to see if your passport is still valid for travel.

by: Anonymous

Question: I have a valid passport and I know the number and the expiration date. I do not have it in my possession right now and need to know the exact name it is under (whether or not I used my full name or just first and last). Is there a way I can get that quickly?

Answer: Passport details are protected under the Privacy Act. You have to submit a request for your passport information in writing, along with proof of your identity. Please call customer service at 1-877-487-2778 for more details.

Want to know if passport is still valid
by: Anonymous

Question: The only reason I am asking this question is because the last time we used our passports was in 2010 or 2012 but it will expire on March 04, 2018.

Answer: Yes, your passports are still valid. You may use them for travel until the expiration date.

However, you still need to check the entry requirements of the country/countries you plan on visiting to see if you have enough validity left on your passport.

Lost or Not? expire
by: Anonymous

Question: How can I determine if my passport has been reported as lost. I filled out forms online, but didn't submit anything. I also sent an email to the airport asking if they had found it. Then I found it myself. How can I determine if it is still valid?

Answer: If the passport has not been officially reported as lost, it is likely still valid. You may call 1-877-487-2778 to speak to a customer service representative.

by: Anonyjmous

Question: I have found my passport. Is it still valid?

Answer: Please check the data page of your passport. The expiration is indicated there. If it has not expired, it is still valid unless you reported it as lost or stolen. In which case, it is already invalidated and you need to apply for a new passport.

Do I need to renew or apply for a new passport?
by: Anonymous

Question: About 15 years ago I think I got a temporary passport, it was a half size sheet of paper with my info on it. I had to rush to get it for a surprise vacation to Mexico. Not sure if I need to renew or file for a new one.

Answer: If it was a temporary passport, it would have been expired for more than 5 years by now. You need to apply for a new passport in person at an acceptance facility. You will need the following:

1. Form DS-11 (completed but unsigned)
2. Evidence of U.S. citizenship
3. Proof of identity
4. Photocopy of ID
5. One passport photo
6. Payment for fees

Routine service takes 6-8 weeks to complete. If you pay for expedited service, you will have your passport in 2-3 weeks.

Passport lost and found
by: Anonymous

Question: I lost my passport last year, reported it lost/stolen, and found it a month later. I never received a confirmation email stating that my DS-64 form had been submitted successfully. Is there any way to check if my passport is valid? I'm wondering if maybe I didn't submit the form correctly.

Answer: Once reported lost, a passport is already invalidated and can no longer be used for travel. Please call 1-877-487-2778 to speak to a customer service representative.

Passport limbo
by: Anonymous

Question: Old passports were lost so forms mailed in for new ones. Then of course the old passports were found. We received an email that one of the forms (DS64) wasn't signed, so this would mean are old passports are still valid, correct? Is there a website or phone number of a service than can run your passport information to confirm it's valid?

Answer: Please call 1-877-487-2778 to speak to a customer service representative.

Lost then found
by: Anonymous

Question: I lost my passport and filled in the online form to report it missing then i found it a few weeks later. Is it still good or do I need a new one?

Answer: Once reported lost, a passport is already invalidated and can no longer be used for travel. You need to apply for a new passport.

Passport renewal
by: Mark

Question: I had a passport 30 years ago and have not used it for 30 years. Is it still good for a renewal or do I have to apply all over?

Answer: You need to apply for a new passport. You need to submit the following in person at a passport acceptance facility.

1. Form DS-11
2. Proof of U.S. citizenship
3. Proof of identity
4. Photocopy of ID
5. Passport photo
6. Payment for fees

Do I have a passport?
by: Ricardo

Question: Hi. My name is Ricardo. I am a US citizen and living on the USA my whole life. Believe or not, I never question myself if I ever had a passaport until know.

My parents passed away few years ago and I have no idea if they ever applied for me. I was searching information and it looks like you need to submit a true statement of what happened to your previous passport. Now, I am afraid if I request for a renewal I will get into trouble.

Answer: You will not get into trouble. Since you cannot state for sure that you had a passport, do not check the box on the application about previously being issued a passport. For new passport instructions, click here.

Is my passport still valid?
by: Anonymous

Question: I lost my passport and obtained a new one that was only good for one year. It is now expired. I just found my original passport but is it still good?

Answer: No, it is not. You need to apply for a new passport.

New Passport
by: Ade

Question: My son was born in the USA and he has a US birth certificate and passport. He has been living in the Phillipines for almost 7 years. His US passport expired in 2014. Could you please tell us how to save his US citizenship and renew his passport? My son is now 8 years old.

Answer: If your son has U.S. citizenship by birth, he will not lose it just because he lives outside the United States. Your son needs to apply for a new passport with both parents at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.