Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Passports for Closed Loop Cruise

by ML
(Eden Prairie, MN )

Question: If we are leaving Miami on a cruise to Belize and Honduras then returning back to Miami, do we need a passport?

Answer: A cruise that originates and terminates in the same U.S. city is referred to as a closed-loop cruise.

Questions concerning the need to obtain a passport for such a cruise are answered as follows.

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection states,

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents."

Therefore, it is not necessary for U.S. citizens who take a closed-loop cruise to present a passport upon their return. The question remains as to whether cruise passengers need a passport to travel to Belize or Honduras.

An article in the Houston Chronicle states,

"According to law in Belize and Honduras, all Americans must have a passport to enter either country. The State Department's Consular Information Sheets for Belize and Honduras also specify that a passport is required. But Belize and Honduras are currently waiving the requirement for cruise passengers unless those passengers start or end their voyage there.

While a passport is neither required to visit these two destinations nor to enter the U.S., it is highly recommended by both the U.S. Department of State and Carnival Cruise lines.

From Carnival's Web Site:

"Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver's license (EDL) as well as Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport."

Return to Passports for Cruises.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 7 and 10 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 3 to 5 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.