Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Foreign Entry Requirements: Haiti to Jordan

Haiti | Honduras | Hong Kong SAR | Hungary | Iceland | India | Indonesia | Iran | Iraq | Ireland | Israel | Italy | Jamaica | Japan | Jordan
For a list of entry requirements for other countries, click here.

Haiti FlagHaiti

All U.S. citizens traveling by air from outside of the United States are required to present a passport to enter or re-enter the United States. Haitian law requires U.S. citizens to have a passport with six months validity to enter and exit Haiti. A visa is not required for stays under 90 days. An undocumented U.S. citizen can experience significant delays for the issuance of a U.S. passport in Haiti, as it is often more difficult to establish identity and citizenship overseas than in the United States. U.S. citizens are encouraged to contact the Embassy of the Republic of Haiti for more details regarding current entry, departure, and customs requirements for Haiti. The Embassy of the Republic of Haiti is located at 2311 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20008; the telephone number is (202) 332-4090. There are Haitian consulates in Boston, Chicago, New York, Miami, Orlando, and Atlanta. Embassy of the Republic of Haiti web site for the most current visa information.

Honduras FlagHonduras

A passport with 6 months remaining validity and proof of onward or return travel are required of U.S. citizens to enter Honduras. A visa-free stay of up to 90 days in the country and other CA-4 countries is allowed. All foreign visitors in Honduras are strongly advised to carry their passports or a photocopy at all times as proof of identity and citizenship.

Upon arrival, U.S. citizens would be issued an immigration document which MUST be surrendered at the airport upon departure. Those traveling by land or sea must also return their entrance permit upon leaving. An airport tax of around USD $40 is imposed and must be paid in cash (U.S. dollars/lempiras) or through credit card.

Honduras is a part of the "Central America-4 (CA-4) Border Control Agreement" along with Guatemala, El Salvador, and Nicaragua. This agreement allows citizens of the countries and eligible foreign visitors to travel across land without additional visas or tourist entry permits, and without entry/exit formalities at immigration checkpoints. U.S. citizens are eligible for this agreement. A maximum of 90 days will be awarded to visitors upon arrival, and foreign visitors who wish to stay longer need to apply for a one-time extension of stay or leave the area. Local immigration authorities may grant stay extensions, and visitors who leave the CA-4 countries can apply for readmission to the region. If you are expelled from any CA-4 country you will not be permitted to enter any of the other three countries. Isolated incidents of confusion over the CA-4 details have led to delays, fines, and detention for a few travelers.

Under Honduran law, children under age 21 who are traveling unaccompanied or with only one parent must have written, notarized permission to travel from the non-traveling parent(s). If notarizing the travel consent in the United States, the document should be apostilled by the U.S. state registrar where the notary is registered. Honduran immigration authorities may also accept permission letters notarized at a Honduran embassy or consulate in the United States. If you have sole legal custody, you must present proof like a court order, birth certificate listing only one parent, or the other parent's death certificate.

For more information concerning entry and exit requirements, travelers may contact the Embassy of Honduras at 3007 Tilden Street NW, Washington, DC 20008, telephone (202) 966-7702, or a Honduran consulate in Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Miami, Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York, Phoenix, or San Francisco. The Honduran government also retains an Honorary Consul in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Interested individuals may visit the Honduran Embassy's web site for additional contact information. For tourist information or suggestions, please contact the Honduras Institute of Tourism at 1-800-410-9608 (in the United States) or at 1-800-222-TOUR (8687) (within Honduras only).

Hong Kong SAR FlagHong Kong SAR

A passport with a minimum of one-month validity after the period of intended stay, adequate funds to cover stay without working and evidence of onward/return transportation are required. Because many neighboring areas require six months validity remaining on the passport, U.S. citizens planning travel beyond Hong Kong should ensure that their passports are valid for at least six months from the date of their proposed entry into such areas. A visa is not required for tourist visits of up to 90 days by U.S. citizens. An extension of stay may be granted upon application to the Hong Kong SAR Immigration Department. Hong Kong Visas are required to work or study. Visit the Hong Kong SAR Immigration Department or the Embassy of the People's Republic of China web site for the most current visa information.

U.S. citizens should secure necessary visas for continuing travel before leaving the United States. U.S. citizens must have a visa to visit the People's Republic of China, and should secure their visa from the closest PRC embassy or consulate in the United States. The PRC Visa Office often requires certified birth certificates or other documentation for children with U.S. passports. Persons applying in Hong Kong for PRC visas for U.S.-born children have been unable to obtain PRC visas without the certified U.S. birth certificate. Parents should consider bringing their children's certified birth certificates if applying for a PRC visa in Hong Kong.

In a hurry? Apply online for expedited visa service

Hungary FlagHungary

U.S. citizens must have a passport with at least three months of validity (six months recommended by the State Department) to visit Hungary, and may remain as a tourist or business traveler for up to 90 days without a visa. As a member of the Schengen Agreement, Hungary permits visitors to travel back and forth between it and other Schengen countries within that 90 day period. Immigration officials may require sufficient funds and an onward or return ticket.

For further information concerning entry requirements and residency permits, contact the Embassy of the Republic of Hungary at 3910 Shoemaker Street N.W., Washington, D.C. 20008, telephone (202) 362-6730. More information can be found on the Hungarian Embassy's website, or by visiting the Hungarian Consulates in Los Angeles or New York.

Iceland FlagIceland

U.S. citizens may visit Iceland or other countries under the Schengen Agreement for 90 days or fewer without a visa. They must have a passport with at least 3 months of remaining validity. However, the State Department recommends having at least six months since Schengen authorities often assume that one will be staying for the entire 90-day visa-free stay. For further information in English concerning entry requirements for Iceland, please contact the Icelandic Directorate of Immigration website.

Ireland FlagIreland

A passport is necessary, but a visa is not required for tourist or business stays of up to three months. Irish immigration laws are not to be taken lightly and visitors should therefore ensure that they present all required documentation. Failure to do so may result to a shorter visit period or worse, denial of entry, Visit the Embassy of Ireland web site for the most current visa information, or contact the Embassy at 2234 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20008, tel: 1-202-462-3939, or the nearest Irish consulate in Boston, Chicago, New York or San Francisco.

Italy FlagItaly

U.S. citizens must have a passport to enter Italy, but do not need a visa for Italy or other Schengen Agreement countries for most stays of 90 days or less. Longer visits, or visits for non-tourism or business purposed do require a visa. Although only 3 months of validity is required, the State Department recommends that passports be valid for at least six more months upon entry. Additionally, Italy requires two completely blank visa pages.

For all other purposes, a visa is required and must be obtained from the Italian Embassy or Consulates before entering Italy. For further information concerning visas and entry requirements for Italy, travelers may contact the Embassy of Italy at 3000 Whitehaven Street NW, Washington, DC 20008, via telephone at (202) 612-4400, or Italian Consulates General in Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Newark, New Orleans, New York, Philadelphia, or San Francisco, accessible through the Italian Embassy web site.

Visitors who stay for 90 days or less must obtain a declaration of presence. This may be in the form of an immigration stamp if you arrived from a non-Schengen country. If you are traveling from a Schengen country, you must ask for and submit a declaration of presence form to a local police office or your hotel. If the completed form is not submitted to the police/hotel within 8 days of arrival visitors may be expelled. Visitors who remain for more than 90 days must have a permit of stay whether they are there for business or just for tourism.

An application "kit" for the permesso di soggiorno (permit of stay) may be requested from one of 14,000 national post offices (Poste Italiane). The kit must then be returned to one of 5,332 designated Post Office acceptance locations. It is important that applicants keep a copy of the receipt issued by the post office. Additional information may be obtained from an Italian immigration website. Within 20 days of receiving the permit to stay in Italy, Americans must go to the local Vital Statistics Bureau (Anagrafe of the Comune) to apply for residency. It generally takes one to two months to receive the certificate of residence (Certificato di Residenza).

Jamaica FlagJamaica

All travelers are encouraged to travel with a valid U.S. passport in order to gain re-entry to the United States. While a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport or a passport card would suffice for entry to the United States when traveling by sea, a U.S. passport is required in the event that such traveler returns to America on a commercial flight. In addition, passport cards they may not be accepted by the particular country you plan to visit; please be sure to check with your cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements. Jamaica allows entry to passport card holders provided that they arrived by sea.

A valid passport, return ticket and proof of funds are required for visitors to Jamaica. Visa-free stays are allowed for up to 90 days only. U.S. citizens Work or extended stays must be authorized with a visa issued through a Jamaican Embassy or Consulate. Airfare to Jamaica typically includes the departure tax, which must otherwise be paid when you leave the country. For further information, travelers may contact the Embassy of Jamaica at 1520 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20036, telephone (202) 452-0660; the Jamaican Consulate in Miami or New York; honorary consuls in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Seattle or Los Angeles. Visit the Visit the Embassy of Jamaica web site for the most current visa information.

In a hurry? Apply online for expedited visa service

IMPORTANT: The foreign entry requirements listed here were obtained from foreign embassies or consulates. This information is subject to change. Verify the data with the consular officials of the countries you plan to visit well in advance. For further information, see our embassy list.

About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.