Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

How to Renew a Passport

Renew U.S. Passport Books

U.S. Passport Books by eldadcarin/DepositPhotos

The steps to renew a passport depend on a few factors including the age of the applicant and how quickly the passports needs to be renewed. Requirements are different for each situation. A summary of descriptions is provided for each situation below followed by links to more detailed information.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.


Adult Passport Renewal

U.S. citizens who were issued passports at age 16 or older can apply for a renewal by mail as long as their previously-issued passports are not significantly damaged nor been expired for more than 5 years.

The procedure include mailing a completed passport renewal form DS-82 with the previously-issued passport, a recent passport photo and payment for fees to the address on the form. Evidence of a legal name change is also required, is applicable.

Passport Renewal for Minors Ages 16 & 17

Minors ages 16 and 17 cannot renew passports by mail. They must apply in person for new passports at a nearby application acceptance facility.

Those with a valid photo ID do not need to be accompanied by a parent as long as parental awareness can be demonstrated. This can be done by a signed statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent's ID).

The form that is submitted in this case is DS-11. Supporting documents include evidence of U.S. citizenship, identification document, photocopy of ID and a recent passport photo. Payment for the application fee is sent with the form while the execution fee is paid to the Acceptance Agent.

Passport Renewal for Children Age 15 and Under

Both parents are required to appear when applying to get a new passport for a child who is age 15 or younger. There are special procedures for situations in which only one parent can accompany the minor. The non-applying parent can provide notarized consent to apply or, when the parent cannot be located, the applying parent can submit a Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances.

Requirements include a completed, unsigned form DS-11, citizenship document, evidence of child/parent relationship, ID of parents, photocopies of identification documents and passport photo. Mandatory fees include the application fee and execution fee.

Note, a passport will usually not be issued to a minor if the Department of State has received written objection to the issuance of a passport by a parent who has custodial rights.

More Information about Renewing a Passport

Steps to Get U.S. Passport Renewals
Step-by-step guide to renewing passport. Includes a list of requirements, application form, fees and tips for getting a passport renewed.

Passport Renewal FAQ
Answers to frequently asked questions about renewing United States passports. Get the answer to the most frequently asked questions on this subject.

3 Ways to Get a Passport Renewed
Learn how to expedite a passport renewal by mail, at a regional agency or through a registered courier.

Passport Renewal in the U.S. for Non-Citizens
Requirements for non-US citizens to get a passport renewed in the United States.

Expedited Passport Renewal FAQ
Answers to frequently asked questions concerning how to renew a passport by expedited service.

Emergency Passport Renewal
Have an emergency? Need a passport urgently? Discover the fastest way to renew a passport.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.