Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

How a Non US Citizen Can Renew a Passport in the United States

Non-U.S. citizens who are in the United States for any reason and need to renew a passport can usually apply through the embassy or consulate general of the country of which they are citizens. Most, but not all, embassies and consulates accept the submission of passport renewal applications and either process the request or forward them to a processing center.

On occasion, applicants will be required to mail completed forms to the country of origin even when an embassy is present in the United States.

Passport requirements, processing times, fees and supporting documents vary so much that it is best just to access the page for renewing a passport for the country of which you are a citizen.

Click the link of your country of citizenship to access information about how to renew a passport in the United States.

If your country of citizenship if not listed above, please visit the embassy website for passport renewal instructions.

Note, only citizens of the United States and non-citizen nationals can apply for a U.S. passport. Green card holders cannot obtain a United States passport unless they first become citizens. Green card holders can travel throughout the United States and U.S. territories without a passport.

About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.