Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Fast U.S. Passport Replacement: Steps and Tips for Every Situation

Damaged American Passport Book with a ripped front cover corner

There are several different reasons why you might need to replace a passport quickly:

  • Your passport was lost
  • Your passport was stolen
  • Your passport is damaged
  • Your passport has errors or misprints
  • Your name changed

For each of these passport replacement needs, the steps you must follow are similar to what is required to apply for a new passport or renew a passport.

The specific differences as well as links to our comprehensive replacement guides are shared below.

Table of Contents

Lost Passport Replacement

Losing a passport can be a stressful experience, especially if it happens right before or during your travels. It's a common issue faced by many, from infrequent travelers who misplace their passport over time to frequent fliers who might lose it in transit.

The process of replacing a lost passport is similar to applying for a new one. It involves a few critical steps:

  • Reporting the lost passport using the U.S. Department of State's online tool
  • Completing Form DS-11
  • Gathering the necessary documents
  • Making an appointment and appearing in person at a passport agency, embassy, or consulate

No matter why your passport is lost, it's essential to act promptly to replace it. Reporting the lost document is a crucial part of the process, as it helps prevent identity theft and misuse.

For a comprehensive guide on how to navigate this process, including step-by-step instructions, required forms, and tips for a smooth replacement experience, please visit our detailed guide on how to replace a lost passport.

Replace a Lost Passport Fast

If you need to replace a lost passport quickly, our expert advice is to seek help from a registered passport expediting service.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.


These travel document services can guide you through the entire process of reporting your lost passport, completing relevant forms, and gathering the correct documentation for your replacement. Moreover, they can help get your new passport into your hands as quickly as the same day in certain situations.

Stolen Passport Replacement

Having a passport stolen is a serious concern and can be stressful, particularly if it occurs close to your travel dates or while you are abroad.

Like with a lost passport, the process for replacing a stolen passport involves following specific steps to keep your personal information secure and get a new passport issued.

To replace a stolen passport, you'll need to start by filing an official police report. This report is an essential part of the application process, as it documents the theft and helps protect against identity theft.

After filing the report, you will need to visit an application acceptance facility, a regional agency, a U.S. embassy, or a consulate general, where you'll submit the Form DS-11 along with all supporting documentation.

If you have imminent travel plans (or just don't want to be without your passport), utilizing a passport expediting service can accelerate the replacement process.

If you're not in a rush, follow the comprehensive instructions in our detailed guide on how to replace a stolen passport for a smooth and secure replacement experience.

Replace Your Stolen Passport Quickly

If you need to replace a stolen passport as fast as possible, particularly for immediate travel, consider seeking assistance from a registered passport expediting service.

These services can guide you through the reporting process, form completion, and document gathering so you receive your new passport as fast as possible.

Damaged Passport Replacement

Damaged American Passport Book with a coffee stain

Handling a damaged passport is crucial for ensuring a smooth travel experience. The U.S. Department of State defines a passport as damaged if it has been altered, or mutilated to the extent that readability is impaired.

The assessment of a passport's condition can be subjective, ultimately resting on the judgment of the agent at a port of entry. To avoid any complications during travel, it's advisable to replace a passport if there's any doubt about its condition.

Common forms of damage include, but are not limited to:

  • Accidental laundering
  • Tears or rips
  • Burn marks
  • Unintended scribbles or markings
  • Water damage
  • Any unauthorized writing on the data page
  • Hole punches

If you're uncertain about the acceptability of your damaged passport, replacing it is the safest option. This proactive step helps avoid potential problems at borders and ensures a hassle-free travel experience.

For a complete understanding of how to assess the damage, steps for replacement, and tips to prevent common issues, please visit our detailed guide on how to replace a damaged passport.

Need to Expedite Your Damaged Passport Replacement?

If you need to replace your damaged passport quickly, particularly for urgent travel plans, a passport expediting service can assist with the entire process including:

  • assessing the damage
  • helping you complete necessary forms
  • submitting your application

Replacing a Passport Due to Errors or Name Changes

If your passport isn't accurate, either because of an error or a name change, you'll want to update it to ensure it remains valid for travel abroad.

If you discover an error in your passport, such as a misspelling or incorrect personal information, be sure to get it corrected promptly. If you find the mistake within a year of it being issued, you can usually get it corrected for free.

The same is true for if you've legally changed your name due to marriage, divorce, or other reasons. You need to update your passport to reflect your new, legal name as soon as possible. Depending on when your passport was issued, this name change could potentially be processed at no cost to you.

The process for making corrections or updating your name involves submitting a request with the appropriate documentation. This might include legal documents for a name change or evidence to correct a passport error.

For detailed information on how to request a name change or correction in your passport, including necessary forms, required documentation, and step-by-step instructions, please visit our comprehensive guides on passport name changes and passport corrections.

Expedited Services for Passport Corrections and Name Changes

If you need to expedite the process of correcting an error or updating your name in your passport, expecially for urgent travel, consider using a passport expediting service.

Like with the other replacement issues we've discussed, expediters can help you gather the correct documentation, fill out the necessary forms, and guide you through the submission process efficiently to get corrections and/or name changes proccessed as quickly as possible.

How Long Does a Replacement Passport Take?

Applying for a passport replacement currently takes 6 to 8 weeks.

You can request expedited service in order to get your new passport faster. This reduces the wait time to 2 to 3 weeks.

Replacing your travel document in 14 days or less requires you visit a regional agency. This will likely require additional travel and costs to complete.

If you are unable to submit the application yourself, you can authorize a third party to do it for you. This can be a friend, family member, travel agent or an expedited passport courier service.

Note: Limited-validity passports, passports that are soon to expire, and passports that expired less than 5 years ago can be replaced by mail submitting form DS-82 if you were age 16 or older when the passport was issued.

This is the same application form that is used to apply for a passport renewal.

How Much Does a Replacement Passport Cost?

Replacement passports follow the same fee schedules as new passports, passport renewals, passports for minors, and passport cards. It just depends on the application you are using for your passport replacement.

Passport renewals currently cost $130 for an adult passport book. If you are replacing a passport using form DS-82, this is the price you can expect to pay for your replacement and how fast you need your new passport in-hand.

A new adult passport book currently costs $165. If you are replacing a passport using form DS-11, this is the price you can expect to pay for your replacement.

If you need a passport expedited (regardless of the age of the applicant or the form you are using), you will be charged an additional fee of $60.

For more, consult our complete guides to the current passport fees and extra costs associated with getting a passport quickly.

Replacing a Passport - Frequently Asked Questions

In our over 20 years helping U.S. travelers with their passport needs and issues, we continue to receive significant numbers of questions about passport replacement issues and scenarios.

Below are some of the most frequently asked questions, their answers, and links to where you can find additional information if you want to know even more.

Do I need a new passport if it went through a washing machine?

Answer: A passport that's been washed might still be valid if all personal data is legible. However, if the laminate is peeling or there's significant damage, a new passport is required.

How do I renew a mutilated passport?

Answer: If your passport is mutilated, you need to apply for a new passport rather than a renewal. This involves completing specific forms and possibly providing an explanation for the damage.

Should I renew my expired passport or apply for a new one?

Answer: If your passport expired less than 15 years ago, you can typically renew it. If it's been longer, you'll need to apply for a new passport.

Do I need to send in an expired passport that has been reported lost then found?

Answer: If you find an expired passport that was reported lost, you should return it to the proper authorities since it's no longer valid and a new one has been issued.

How do I replace a passport I lost in Italy?

Answer: If you lose your passport abroad, like in Italy, you must apply for an emergency passport at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to continue your travels or return home.

What is a limited passport and how do I replace it?

Answer: Limited passports are typically issued for short-term use. To replace one, you'll need to apply for a regular passport by submitting the standard required documents.

Do I need to submit proof of citizenship to renew an emergency passport?

Answer: When renewing an emergency passport, you may be required to submit proof of citizenship along with your renewal application, especially if the emergency passport had limited validity.

Can I renew a passport with a little water damage?

Answer: A slightly water-damaged passport can often be renewed as long as the damage isn't severe and all the information, including the photo, remains clear and legible.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.