Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Foreign Entry Requirements: Taiwan to Virgin Islands

Taiwan | Tajikistan | Tanzania | Thailand | Timor-Leste | Togo | Tonga | Trinidad & Tobago | Tunisia | Turkey | Turkmenistan | Turks and Caicos | Tuvalu | Uganda | Ukraine | United Arab Emirates | United Kingdom | Uruguay | Uzbekistan | Vanuatu | Vatican City | Venezuela | Vietnam
For a list of entry requirements for other countries, click here.

Taiwan FlagTaiwan

U.S. citizens traveling to Taiwan must have a passport that is valid for at least the duration of stay in Taiwan. A return or onward ticket is required, but U.S. citizens do not need a visa for stays of 90 days or fewer. Travelers may not extend their stay or change their visa status once they are in the country with the visa-waiver program. As a U.S. passport holder, you will be allowed to enter Taiwan without a visa for up to 90 days if your passport is valid for more than 90 days beyond the date of arrival.  If your passport has fewer than 90 days of validity remaining, you will be able to enter Taiwan for a time equal to the expiration date of your passport.. If you apply for a Taiwan visa in advance of your arrival in Taiwan, the cost is approximately USD $160.00, and you may be granted a longer length of stay.

Visitors who apply for landing visas or visa-exempt status do not need to submit evidence of negative HIV status. Resident visa applications do require a health certificate, and visitors who test positive for HIV will not be granted a visa and will likely be asked to leave the country.

For the most current information about entry requirements, consult with the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office (TECRO).

Tajikistan FlagTajikistan

See Tajikistan Entry Requirements

Tanzania FlagTanzania

A passport and a Tanzania visa are required for travel to Tanzania. U.S. citizens with valid passports may obtain a Tanzania visa either before arriving in Tanzania or at any port of entry staffed by immigration officials. Travelers may complete the e-visa application form and make payment online with a credit card or bank transfer. If the e-visa is approved, the applicant will receive a "grant notice" via email. Present a copy of the grant notice to the Immigration Officer on arrival at the airport in Tanzania. U.S. passports should be valid for a minimum of six months. Also, foreigners are required to show their passports when entering or exiting Zanzibar.

The web site of the Embassy of Tanzania in Washington, DC states that yellow fever vaccination is required only for persons from, or those who have visited yellow fever endemic countries.

Tanzanian law is very strict on visa categories. A recurring problem encountered by Americans is that volunteer activity even if the traveler is paying for the volunteer opportunity is prohibited on a tourist visa. Americans who are traveling to Tanzania for short or long term volunteer projects should review their status with the sponsoring organization before entering the country.

Travelers are reminded to safeguard their U.S. passports while in Tanzania. Passport loss can lead to delays in departing the country and can cause disruption of travel. Tanzanian authorities require that travelers who are not in possession of the visa and entry stamps obtained upon admission to Tanzania visit the immigration office prior to departure to regularize their status. Persons attempting to depart the country without proper documentation may be subject to fines or delays in departure. Visit the Embassy of Tanzania's web site at https://www.us.tzembassy.go.tz/ for the most current visa information.

In a hurry? Apply online for expedited visa service

Thailand FlagThailand

See Thailand entry requirements


A passport valid for six months beyond the intended date of arrival in Timor-Leste is required. Tourist visas are not required prior to arrival, but travelers arriving in Timor-Leste without a visa will need to pay a $30 fee for a 30-day tourist visa. Visas-on-arrival are no longer available at the land border with Indonesia, so travelers entering via land borders need to secure a visa in advance. There is an additional fee for each 30-day renewal of this visa. Visitors traveling via air must transit Singapore; Darwin, Australia; or Bali, Indonesia en route to Timor-Leste.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Timor-Leste.

Togo FlagTogo

A passport and Togo visa are required. Visas may be issued upon arrival at the international airport in Lome, and at the major Togolese border crossings with neighboring countries. Visas issued upon entry are limited to seven days (arrival counts as one day, even if arriving in the late evening), and can be extended for one year at no cost during the seven-day period. Travelers must surrender their passport while Togolese authorities process the visa extension request. You will be turned away without the required two blank passport pages clear of any visas or stamps.

Travelers are encouraged to obtain visas prior to arrival to avoid unnecessary inconvenience and delays. Vaccination against yellow fever is also required before entry. U.S. citizens should carry copies of their U.S. passports and vaccination records with them at all times while traveling in Togo so that, if questioned by local officials, they have proof of identity, U.S. citizenship, and required vaccinations readily available. Also, due to the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) outbreak in West Africa, Togolese authorities are screening incoming travelers for fever or other EVD symptoms.

Travelers may obtain additional information from the Embassy of the Republic of Togo, 2208 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20008; telephone (202) 234-4212. Overseas, inquiries should be made at the nearest Togolese embassy or consulate.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Togo.

Tonga FlagTonga

A passport valid for at least 6 months and an onward/return ticket are required. Tonga visas are not required for stays of up to 31 days. Tonga collects a departure tax. For further information about entry requirements, travelers, particularly those planning to enter by sea, may wish to contact the Consulate General of Tonga at 360 Post Street, Suite 604, San Francisco, California 94108; telephone 415-781-0365. The Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Toga.

Trinidad and Tobago FlagTrinidad and Tobago

A passport valid for 6 months is required of U.S. citizens for entry to Trinidad and Tobago. U.S. citizens do not need a Trinidad and Tobago visa for tourism or business-related visits of 90 days or less. Work permits are required for compensated and some non-compensated employment, including missionary work. Visas may be required for travel for purposes other than business or tourism. For further information concerning entry, employment and customs requirements, travelers may contact the Embassy of Trinidad and Tobago, 1708 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20036, telephone (202) 467-6490, or the Trinidad and Tobago Consulates in Miami or New York City. Visit the Embassy of Trinidad and Tobago's web site.

Tunisia FlagTunisia

A passport with at least 6 months validity is required. For U.S. passport holders, a visa is not necessary for stays of up to three months; however, a residence permit is needed for longer stays. The residence permit can be obtained from the central police station of the district of residence. Americans born in the Middle East or with Arabic names have experienced delays in clearing immigration upon arrival. American citizens of Tunisian origin are expected to enter and exit Tunisia on their Tunisian passports. If a Tunisian-American succeeds in entering using a U.S. passport, he or she will still have to present a Tunisian passport to exit the country.

For further information concerning entry/exit requirements for Tunisia, travelers may contact the Embassy of Tunisia at 1515 Tunisian/American children must always have both parents' permission to exit the country, even if one parent has sole custody.

Turkey Entry Requirements

See the Turkmenistan Entry Requirements

Turks and Caicos FlagTurks and Caicos

U.S. citizens do not need to obtain visas to enter the Turks and Caicos Islands as tourists for less than 90 days.

Air Travel: All Americans traveling by air outside the United States are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States.

Sea Travel: Americans traveling by land or by sea are required to present either a valid U.S. passport or other valid Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) travel document to enter or re-enter the United States. Other valid WHTI travel documents include: passport card, enhanced driver's license, NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST card. Sea travelers should also check with their cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements.

Applications for the new U.S. Passport Card are now being accepted. The card may not be used to travel by air and is available only to U.S. citizens. Further information on the passport card and upcoming changes to U.S. passport policy can be found on the Bureau of Consular Affairs web site. The U.S. Department of State strongly encourages all American citizen travelers to apply for a U.S. passport well in advance of anticipated travel. American citizens can visit travel.state.gov or call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on how to apply for their passports.
Visit the Embassy of the United Kingdom web site for the most current visa information.


A passport with at least 6 months remaining validity, onward/return ticket, and proof of sufficient funds for the stay in Tuvalu are required. Visitor permits valid for up to one month are issued upon arrival.For further information about entry requirements, travelers may wish to contact the Tuvalu Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York, Suite 400 B, 800 2nd Avenue, NY 10017, tel.: (212) 490-0534, fax: (212) 808-4975. This is particularly true for those persons planning to enter by sea.

Uganda FlagUganda

A passport valid for six months beyond the date of entry, Uganda visa and evidence of yellow fever vaccination are required. Travelers may obtain a Uganda visa before departure through a visa expediter or directly through the Embassy of Uganda consular services. The government of Uganda indicated a move to eliminate visas upon arrival at the airport, in favor of the electronic visa only, but in practice they continue to make visas upon arrival available. All visa and work permit (E-Visa and E-permits) applications must be completed via the Government of Uganda's website. Under the new application process, you must apply online for all immigration services such as visas, permits, and passes at least two weeks prior to travel. The fee for a single entry tourist visa is $50 while multiple entry visas for up to 12 months cost $100.

Travelers should be aware that a visa does not determine how long a person may remain in Uganda. The Ugandan immigration officer at the port of entry will determine the length of authorized stay, which is generally from two weeks to three months as a tourist. Extensions of duration of stay may be requested at Ugandan immigration headquarters on Jinja Road in Kampala. Airline companies may also require travelers to have a visa before boarding. Travelers should obtain the latest information and details from the Embassy of the Republic of Uganda at 5911 16th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20011; telephone (202) 726-7100. The Ugandan Embassy may also be contacted by email. Travelers may also contact the Ugandan Permanent Mission to the United Nations, telephone (212) 949-0110. Overseas, inquiries may be made at the nearest Ugandan embassy or consulate.

Ukraine Entry Requirements

United Arab Emirates FlagUnited Arab Emirates

U.S. citizens are subject to all UAE immigration laws. U.S. citizens should familiarize themselves with such laws before traveling to, or residing in, the UAE.

  • Passport Validity: A passport valid for at least six months beyond date of entry is required to enter the UAE.
  • Personal travel of 30 days or less: A U.S. citizen with a regular passport may obtain a no fee visitor visa upon arrival.
  • Stays longer than 30 days: All travelers must obtain a visa before arrival in the UAE. Visitors on a 30 day visa may request a visa extension, which is at the discretion of immigration officials. Anyone planning to work or study in the UAE must obtain the appropriate visa.
  • Medical Exam: A full medical exam is required for work or residence permits and includes an HIV/AIDS test. Testing must be performed after arrival; a U.S. HIV/AIDS test is not accepted. U.S. citizens have been detained and deported for testing positive for HIV or hepatitis.
  • Travel on Diplomatic or Official Passports: U.S. citizens traveling to or through the United Arab Emirates on diplomatic or official passports are required to obtain a visa before travel (transit passengers only require a visa if exiting the airport). U.S. military ID cards are not acceptable.
  • Land Exit Departure Fee: All travelers who depart the UAE by land and who are not members of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) must pay a departure fee. The fee is 35 UAE dirhams and is payable only in the local currency.

Please verify this information with the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates before you travel.

The Government of the UAE requires that all persons residing in the country have a national identification card. U.S. citizens who are working or living in the UAE should visit the Emirates Identity Authority website for more information on card registration procedures and requirements.

In a hurry? Apply online for expedited visa service

United Kingdom FlagUnited Kingdom

A valid passport is required for U.S. citizens wishing to enter the United Kingdom as tourists. There is no validity requirement for these passports as long as it is valid for the entire duration of stay. However, at least six months remaining validity is recommeded if transting the UK to other countries in continental Europe. Those traveling for purposes other than tourism must seek proper information from the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) regarding entry requirements.

The UKVI is implementing a five-tier regulation system that affects Americans coming to the United Kingdom as well as American citizens and dependents already in the country. Information on the points-based system can be found on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) web site. (https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa)

Companies and individuals intending to employ American citizens, or other nationals from countries beyond the European Economic Area and Switzerland, are required to apply to the UKVI for a sponsorship license. Information on the sponsorship license can be found on the UKVI web site.

Educational establishments must also apply for a sponsorship license. Even American educational institutions that only offer short-term study abroad programs in their own premises in the United Kingdom to students who are enrolled in the United States, and who come to the United Kingdom for one or two semesters before returning home to finish their degree courses, must apply for a license from the UKVI. Information on the license for educational establishments can be found on the UKVI web site.

Students and prospective students who intend to stay longer than six months, and those coming for less than six months but who wish to work while studying, are required to obtain a student or prospective student visa before traveling to the United Kingdom. Failure to do so will result in the student or prospective student being refused entry to the United Kingdom. Information on student visas can be found on the UK web site. Students may apply online. Note, too, that charity workers, religious workers, and other temporary workers, even those performing unpaid duties, are required to obtain a visa prior to traveling to the United Kingdom. Information on temporary workers can be found on the UKVI web site.

If travelers or sponsors have any questions about requirements for a visa, please refer to the UK Visas and Immigration web site.

Travelers must be outside the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man when they make an application for a visa.

It is the traveler's personal responsibility to ensure that he/she has the appropriate permission to enter the United Kingdom. The U.S. Embassy in London cannot intervene with any application, nor can it secure entry on behalf of American citizens who arrive without a visa when one is required.

Uruguay FlagUruguay

All United States citizens entering Uruguay for business or pleasure must have a valid passport. U.S. citizens traveling on a regular passport do not need a Uruguay visa for a visit of less than three months. U.S. citizens traveling on diplomatic or official passports require a visa. Air travelers are required to pay an airport tax upon departure. This fee may be paid in U.S. dollars or in Uruguayan pesos. Visit the Embassy of Uruguay website for the most current visa information.

Uzbekistan FlagUzbekistan

A passport and Uzbekistan visa are required. Although official invitation letters are not required for American citizens applying for tourist visas, they are required for those planning to visit an individual who resides in Uzbekistan. Tourist visas cannot be extended in Uzbekistan. Uzbekistan visas are issued by Uzbek embassies and consulates abroad. Travelers can also authorize a visa expediter to obtain a Uzbekistan visa for them. Visitors coming from countries where Uzbekistan does not have diplomatic or consular representation should obtain visas in a third country. Visas are not available upon arrival at Uzbek airports. The Embassy has received a number of reports from American citizens who have had problems obtaining Uzbek visas or who received Uzbek visas valid for a very limited period, usually for fewer than three months. Americans seeking visas are encouraged to apply for their visas well in advance of their travel.

In a hurry? Apply online for expedited visa service

It is important to note that Uzbek visas indicate not only the validity of the visa, but also the period of time a person is allowed to stay in Uzbekistan on a given trip. A visitor will have to leave the country before the number of days indicated as the duration of stay on the visa expires. Therefore, it is important to indicate your intended period of stay when applying for your Uzbek visa. American citizens who are affiliated with a non-governmental organization (NGO) that has been closed in Uzbekistan may be prevented from entering the country, even with a valid visa. All travelers, even those simply transiting Uzbekistan for fewer than 72 hours, must obtain an Uzbek visa before traveling to Uzbekistan.

Foreigners must complete a customs declaration upon entering Uzbekistan. The amount of cash taken out of Uzbekistan should not exceed the amount indicated on the customs declaration. In order to export more cash than was imported, one must have special permission from the National Bank of Uzbekistan. Those who understate the amount of currency on their declaration form upon departure from Uzbekistan face fines and confiscation of their unreported money.

The Uzbek Government tightly controls all official border crossings. Travel within Uzbekistan by rail or land sometimes requires brief exit into neighboring countries. Travelers should have multiple-entry Uzbek visas and a proper visa for the neighboring country in order to avoid delays in travel.

Registration after entry: All travelers present in Uzbekistan for more than three business days must register with the Office of Entry, Exit, and Citizenship, commonly known as "OVIR". Hotel guests are registered automatically, but all other travelers are responsible for registering themselves. Registration fees vary depending on length of stay. Visitors without proper registration are subject to fines, imprisonment, and deportation. The fines range from $1,000 to $12,000. Uzbekistan restricts religious activities only to registered religious groups and has strict registration requirements. Violators of the law's prohibitions on activities such as proselytizing, importing, and disseminating religious literature, and offering private religious instruction are subject to criminal penalties including deportation.

Further visa information is available from the Consular Section of the Embassy of the Republic of Uzbekistan, 1746 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20036; telephone: (202) 530-7291; fax: (202) 293-9633, or, from the Consulate General of Uzbekistan in New York City, 866 United Nations Plaza, Suite 327A, New York, NY 10017; telephone: (212) 754-7403; fax: (212) 838-9812.

Vanuatu FlagVanuatu

A passport valid for at least six months, onward/return ticket, and proof of sufficient funds are required. Vanuatu visas. are not required for stays up to 30 days after which an extension of stay of up to 120 days is possible. For further information on entry requirements, particularly for those persons planning to enter by a sailing vessel, please visit the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Vanuatu to the United Nations website, 800 Second Avenue, Suite 400B, New York, NY 10017, Telephone: (212) 661-4303; fax: (212) 422-3427, (212) 661-5544.

Travelers who plan to transit or visit Australia must enter that country with an Australian visa or, if eligible, through the Electronic Travel Authority (ETA). The ETA replaces a visa and allows eligible travelers a stay of up to three months in Australia. An ETA may be obtained for a small service fee at http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ or for quick service you can expedite an Australia visa. Airlines and many travel agents in the United States are also able to issue ETAs. Travelers may obtain more information about the ETA and Australian entry requirements from the Australian Embassy at 1601 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20036, tel. (202) 797-3000.

The Government of Vanuatu does not impose any entry restrictions for persons with the HIV/AIDS virus, as long as they include the information on the arrival form.

Vatican CityVatican City

See Italy entry requirements

Venezuela FlagVenezuela

See Venezuela Entry Requirements

Vietnam FlagVietnam

A passport with at least six months validity and a Vietnamese visa or visa exemption document are required. A visa or visa exemption document must be obtained from a Vietnamese Embassy or Consulate prior to traveling to Vietnam. This can be done directly or you can get a Vietnam visa through a visa expediter. Entry visas are not available upon arrival. Americans arriving without an appropriate Vietnamese visa or exemption document will not be permitted to enter, and will be subject to immediate deportation. Vietnamese visas are usually valid for only one entry. Persons planning to leave Vietnam and re-enter from another country should be sure to obtain a visa allowing multiple entries.

Even while in possession of a valid visa, some travelers have been refused entry to Vietnam. U.S. citizens are cautioned that Vietnamese immigration regulations require foreigners entering Vietnam to undertake only the activity for which their visas were issued. A change in the purpose of your visit requires permission in advance from the appropriate Vietnamese authority. U.S. citizens whose stated purpose of travel was tourism, but who engaged in religious proselytizing have had religious materials confiscated and have been expelled from Vietnam. An American whose U.S. passport is lost or stolen in Vietnam must obtain both a replacement passport and a replacement Vietnamese visa. The U.S. Embassy and Consulate General can issue limited validity emergency replacement passports in as little as one day, but the Vietnamese government requires three working days, not to include the day of application, to issue a replacement visa. Neither the U.S. Embassy nor the Consulate General can expedite replacement Vietnamese visas.

Current information on visa and entry requirements may be obtained from the Vietnamese Embassy, 1233 20th Street NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036, tel: 202-861-0737, fax: 202-861-0917, the Vietnamese Consulate General, 1700 California Street - Suite 430, San Francisco, CA 94109, tel: (415) 922-1707, fax: 415-922-1848, or from the nearest Vietnamese embassy or consulate overseas.

In a hurry? Apply online for expedited visa service

IMPORTANT: The foreign entry requirements listed here were obtained from foreign embassies or consulates. This information is subject to change. Verify the data with the consular officials of the countries you plan to visit well in advance. For further information, see our embassy list.

About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.