Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

What is the fee to change your name on your passport?

Question: I have a valid passport that was issued a few years ago. It has my maiden name on it. I have filled out the DS-82 form, gotten 2 passport photos taken, and attached my Certificate of Marriage. What is the fee for this service? Would I add an additional $60 to that total to get it expedited? Thank you for your help!

Answer: The fee to renew a passport by mail using Form DS-82 is currently $110 for a passport book only. You can request a passport card at the same time for an additional $30.

Expedited service fee is $60. This reduces the processing time from 4-6 weeks to 2-3 weeks. If you choose this service, be sure to write the word "expedite" on the outside of the envelope so that agents can quickly identify your request.

For faster service, you either have to visit a regional agency or get a professional passport expediting service to submit the application for you.

Click here to read or post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Fee for name change due to marriage

Question: My passport was issued 2 years ago. I was married on May 29 of this year and am going to Italy in September. I have filled out the application to change my name on my passport and have a certified copy of my marriage license and my current passport book that I will be sending in.

I'm not sure what the fee is. Do I still have to pay the $110.00 renewal fee even though I just got my passport 2 years ago?

Thank you for your help and reply!

Answer: Yes, you have to pay the renewal fee of $110. Only requests for name change made within one year of the passport's issuance do not demand payment of the fee.

Note, routine processing takes 4-6 weeks. It can sometimes take longer. Make sure you apply for the name change well in advance of your scheduled trip.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Fee to get a passport with a name change due to marriage

by Natalie
(Coraopolis PA)

Question: I have a passport from over a year ago and my name changed due to getting married. I am not understanding the part of the fee that says that I need either an adult passport book + card, an adult passport book, or an adult passport card. Based on why I am getting the passport updated, which one do I need to get and how much will the total fee be plus shipping and getting my marriage certificate back expedited?

I am not looking for expedited service for the new card or book or both based on what you tell me I need. I do not know the difference between a book and a card. THANK YOU FOR YOUR MOST NEEDED HELP!!! Sincerely, Natalie

Answer: American citizens must present a valid passport to exit and re-enter the United States except for travel on closed-loop cruises or to U.S. territories.

You can choose to get a passport book,
passport card or both. The passport book can be used for air, land or sea travel to any country. The passport card can only be used for land or sea travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean region.

Since your passport was issued more than a year ago, you must apply for a passport renewal. The correct form is DS-82. You also need to submit your current passport, one passport photo and evidence of the name change.

The fees are as follows:

Application fee:

* passport book - $110
* passport card - $30
* passport book & passport card - $140

Standard processing takes 4-6 weeks. To get the name changed in a passport within 2-3 weeks, you should request expedited service. There is an additional $60 fee for this.

For more information, click the appropriate link below.

Apply to Renew Passport

Passport Renewal Application Form DS-82

Expedite Passport Name Change

Click here to read or post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Fees for a passport book with a name change due to marriage

by Melanie
(Atlanta, GA, USA)

Question: I need to mail in the forms, and other pertinent items for my name change on my passport book. How much will my fees be? My original passport book was issued May 15, 2009. Does it matter what photos are sent in for the picture?

Answer: There is no fee for a name change that is requested within one year of the passport's issuance date. Unfortunately, that is not applicable in your case.

Because it has been more than one year, you must submit the application for a passport renewal by mail. You can access a complete list of requirements by clicking the link below.

How to Renew a Passport

The fee for routine service is $110. Expedited service is an additional $60.

The State Department is very strict about passport photos. It must be recent (taken within the last 6 months), 2X2 inches and taken against a plain white background . There are other requirements. Click the link to read more.

Passport Photo Requirements

Click here to read or post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

What kind of fee do I have to pay in order to change my name?

by Melissa
(Palatine, IL)

Question: My passport has been issued over a year ago & my name has changed. I am able to mail in my current US passport, an official copy of my marriage certificate, and a color passport photo, but how much of a fee do I have to pay?

I know that I have to pay a fee because my passport was issued over a year ago, but I do not know how much I should pay for a name change on my passport. Please answer my question. Thanks for the help!

Answer: Since your current passport was issued more than a year ago, you have to apply for a passport renewal by mail using form DS-82. The fee for a passport book renewal is $110 if you want routine service which takes 4-6 weeks to complete.

Expedited service is an additional $60 but your passport name change will be completed in 2-3 weeks. The addresses for both routine service and expedited service are on the form.

If you need the process completed more quickly, you will have to schedule an appointment at the regional agency that serves your state or get a professional passport expediter to submit the name change application for you.

Chicago Passport Agency

Apply to Expedite Passport Name Change

Click here to read or post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 8 and 11 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 5 to 7 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering extremely limited in-person services if you need to travel internationally in the next 72 hours. Those with qualified life-or-death emergencies are prioritized.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 business days).

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 AM to 5PM, call ET 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, 202-647-4000

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!