Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Comments for What kind of fee do I have to pay in order to change my name?

Click here to add your own comments

Name change form
by: Anonymous

Question: I'm changing my name due to marriage. I'm filling out the form DS-82. Do I fill it out with my new name on the marriage certificate? It's asking for my legal signature. It's that my new signature or my old one?

Answer: Enter your new legal name and sign the application with your new signature.

Name change and renewal
by: MB

Question: My passport is less than 5 years expired and I need my name changed due to marriage. What application(s) do I need to fill out and return?

Answer: You may apply for a renewal with name change. Please prepare the following and mail them to the address on the form:

1. Form DS-82
2. Current passport
3. Original or certified copy of marriage certificate
4. One new passport photo
5. Payment for fees

Get Passport Fast

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Return to What kind of fee do I have to pay in order to change my name?.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 7 and 10 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 3 to 5 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.