This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Names on passport and driver's license do not match name on SS card

by Mayelin

Question: I changed my maiden name to my married name on my social security card. My license and my passport still have my maiden name & I will be purchasing my travel tickets with my maiden name (the same as my license & passport) I will be traveling from the US to Mexico & then back to the US. Will this be a problem? Should I take my marriage certificate with me?

Answer: According to the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs, "all citizens need to travel in their current, legal names."

You are encouraged to request a passport name change. If it has been less than a year, there is no fee. If more than a year has passed since your passport was issued, you need to apply for a renewal.

The passport renewal application is Form DS-82. You submit the completed form along with your current passport, one photo and proof of the legal name change to the address on the application.

Routine service takes 4-6 weeks. Expedited services takes 2-3 weeks. Same day passport name changes can be obtained at a regional agency or through a professional expediter.

Click the links below for further information.

Passport Name Change Information

Miami Passport Agency

Apply for Expedited Name Change

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.