Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Comments for What if one parent of the minor has been deported and is unreachable?

Click here to add your own comments

Travel to Peru
by: Anonymous

Question: My 17-year-old daughter has a valid adult passport, and her father has been deported to Peru. We are planning to visit him next month and I am confused about whether I need his consent to travel internationally on my own with her. Can anyone help me get an answer to this?

Answer: For entry/exit from Peru, U.S. citizen minors under the age of 18, traveling alone (or with only one parent), generally do not require additional documentation if entering as a tourist for less than 183 days. However, if the stay lasts more than 183 days, then a Permiso Notarial de Viaje is required.

Father is deceased, Steps for childs passport?
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi. My children's father passed away 3 years ago. What are the steps/ forms do I (their mother) need to take to obtain passports for my children? Thank you.

Answer: We're sorry to learn about your loss.

The process to obtain your children's passports is quite straightforward. The children need to appear with you in person to each submit the following requirements:

1. Form DS-11
2. Evidence of U.S. citizenship plus photocopy (original or certified copy of U.S. birth certificate)
3. Photocopy of your ID
4. Original or a certified copy of the father's death certificate
5. One passport photo
6. Payment for fees

You need a certified copy of the father's death certificate for each application. This may cost you a considerable amount to acquire. If you are not traveling soon, we suggest you submit the applications one at a time.

The document will be returned to you once the process is completed. When it arrives, you can apply for the next child.

how to apply for my daughter's passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I got custody of my daughter when she was 8 but a different man is listed on the birth certificate. How can I apply for her passport in that case?

Answer: Please call 1-877-487-2778 to discuss this issue with a customer service representative.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to What if one parent of the minor has been deported and is unreachable?.

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 7 and 10 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 4 to 6 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. ET, call 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, call 202-647-4000.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. ET.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!