Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Comments for How do get a passport for my son if I was never married to his father?

Click here to add your own comments

No Connections/unknown
by: Anonymous

Question: How can I apply for my son's passport if I don’t know where his father is and he is in a different country? His name is not on his birth certificate, and he never connected or communicated since my son was born.

Answer: Since you are the only parent listed in the birth certificate, there is no need to have the father involved. You can just apply for your child's passport straightaway and there will likely be no issues.

Please bring your child to a local acceptance facility and submit the following. An appointment may be required.

1. Form DS-11
2. Child's U.S. birth certificate (original or certified copy)
3. Photocopy of your government-issued ID
4. One new passport photo of the child
5. Payment for fees

Please note that processing takes 8 to 11 weeks for standard service and 5 to 7 weeks for expedited. These do not include mailing times which vary across the country. Please plan your travels accordingly and we encourage you to make final travel arrangements only after you receive the passport.

When Father lives in Africa
by: Anonymous

Question: How can I get a passport for my newborn if his father thus my husband lives in Ghana, Africa?

Answer: The father can complete Form DS-3053, have it notarized at the U.S. Embassy in Ghana (Accra), then mail it to you with a photocopy of his ID presented to the notary. You can then submit these with the rest of the requirements for the child's passport application.

Proof of identity
by: Anonymous

Question: Can a driver's license from another country be proof of identity when signing the consent form and having it notarized?

Answer: If you are a foreign citizen, it is best that you use your passport instead.

Too far
by: Anonymous

Question: What can I do if the father of 2 of my children is agreeing to sign the consent form but the closest U.S. embassy is over 7 hours away in Mexico? Can he just get it signed at any other notary or what can we do in this case?

Answer: He may have the consent form notarized by a reputable notary public instead.

Passport for daughter
by: Anonymous

Question: How do I get a passport for my daughter if I was never married to her father, he is on her birth certificate but he has established custody in court?

I am planning a cruise for my son. I have issues with his father. We were never married but his name is in his birth certificate and not custody or time sharing have been filed through court. Can I get his passport without his consent?

Answer: Since the father's name is on the birth certificate, his consent is required to apply for your child's passport. This is unless you can present proof of sole legal custody awarded by the courts.

How can I get my daughter's passport
by: Anonymous

Question: For 8 years my daughter's father missed out on her life. I don't have a way to contact him. We tried to get my daughter a passport but I couldn't because my daughter's birth certificate shows that her dad has a different DOB then on his ID. What can I do to get her passport? Please help. Thank you.

Answer: If the father's correct DOB is on his ID, apply to get your daughter's birth certificate corrected. If the birth certificate is correct, ask the father to get his ID corrected. Then, obtain his notarized consent to apply for the passport.

If you cannot contact the father, you can complete Form DS-5525: Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances. The statement must explain in detail the non-applying parent's unavailability and prove that every effort was made to contact the non-applying parent.

Another option is to consult a lawyer about the possibility of obtaining sole legal custody of your daughter.

Click the links below for more information:

Passport for Minor

Child Custody Strategies for Women

Click here to add your own comments

Return to How do get a passport for my son if I was never married to his father?.

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 7 and 10 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 4 to 6 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. ET, call 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, call 202-647-4000.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. ET.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!