Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Can a child return to the United States with an expired passport?

Question: Hi. At the moment, my family and I are in Canada and we are all Americans. I have a daughter whose passport expired. She is 5 years old. We want to go back home ASAP. I was wondering if I can use her expired passport and her birth certificate to re-enter the United States? We will be traveling by plane. The nearest embassy is 4 hours away. Please help! Thank you for your attention.

Answer: ALL PERSONS (including children) traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a valid passport book or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

Children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a U.S. birth certificate. This does not apply to air travel. The airline will not allow your daughter to board without a current, valid passport.

You either have to apply for your daughter's new passport at the nearest U.S. embassy or authorize a private expediting service to submit the application for you. While this would avoid the need to travel to the embassy, it can be quite expensive.

If you want to investigate further the option of using a private expediter, click the link below.

Apply to expedite child's passport

Click here to read or post comments

Return to Passport Expiration FAQ.

Can I return to the USA with a passport expiring in five months?

Question: Can I return to the USA with a US Passport which will expire within five months?

Answer: Yes, you can return to the United States with a passport that will expire five months later. Note, however, that you may not be allowed to depart the U.S. if your destination is a country which follows the six month passport validity rule.

Many countries require your passport to have at least six months of validity before they will grant you permission to enter. Since not all countries have this requirement, it is important that you verify the foreign entry requirements for the places you plan to visit.

If you discover that you need to renew your passport, then click the link below for instructions on how to apply.

Get Passport Renewed

Click here to read or post comments

Return to Passport Expiration FAQ.

Can I re-enter the U.S. on the passport expiration date?

Question: I will be taking a cruise to The Bahamas on October 8 and will be returning on the 10th. I was made aware that one now needs a U.S. passport or passport card to travel to The Bahamas. My passport expires on the day I return from the cruise; will I still be allowed to re-enter the United States? I read somewhere that a passport is valid until midnight of the expiration date. Thanks!

Answer: A United States passport is valid until midnight on the date of expiration. Concerning this question, you should have no problem re-entering the United States on the same day that your passport expires.

A passport book or passport card is required to re-enter the United States when traveling to The Bahamas unless the cruise is a closed-loop cruise. In such cases, passports are not required. Is the cruise you plan to take a closed-loop cruise? If so, a passport is not required to re-enter the U.S.

A passport is not required on a closed-loop cruise unless the countries which you will be visiting require such. The entry requirements for the Bahamas includes evidence of citizenship, proof of onward journey and proof of funds to support visit. A passport is acceptable as evidence of citizenship. However, an original or certified birth certificate and photo ID is also acceptable.

We recommend you contact the cruise line to verify the travel document requirements for your cruise.

Click here to read or post comments

Return to Passport Expiration FAQ.

Can I re-enter the US with an expired passport?

by DR Travel
(Miami, FL)

Question: I traveled outside the US and did not realize I had an expired passport. Will I be able to re-enter the US? What do I need to do?

Answer: According to the U.S. Department of State, all American citizens must possess a valid passport in order to exit and re-enter the United States.

Trying to return to the U.S. with an expired passport may result in being denied entrance. It is best to resolve this before your return trip.

You can apply for an emergency renewal at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general. Click the link below to access a list and find the one nearest you.

U.S. Embassy and Consulate List

Click here to read or post comments

Return to Passport Expiration FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.