This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

What needs to be done with a passport when someone dies?

Question: When someone dies, is there anything that needs to be done with their passport?

Answer: Yes, there is something you can do with passport of a deceased person. Here are your options:

Disposition of Passport for Deceased Person/Family Member

The first option is to keep the passport in your possession. You can keep it as a memento if you choose.

Another option is to send it in to be canceled and then returned to you.

If you choose to have it canceled and returned, you need to mail the passport to the CLASP unit along with a copy of the Certificate of Death. For the canceled passport to be returned to you, include a letter stating that request.

Mail the passport, Certificate of Death, and letter requesting canceled/returned passport (if applicable) to:

Attention CLASP
1111 19th St NW, Suite 500,
Washington, DC 20036

Finally, you can send the passport to the CLASP unit so that it may be canceled and destroyed.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.