Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Passport of Deceased Person - What To Do With Passport

Have the passport of a deceased person and do not know what to do with it? According to the NPIC - National Passport Information Center, you do not have to do anything. Of course, there are a couple of things you can do if you want to.

Disposition of Passport for Deceased Person/Family Member

The passport of a person who has died can be kept as a memento if you choose, or you can return it for cancellation.

If you choose to have the passport cancelled and returned to you or destroyed, you should return the passport to the CLASP unit. A copy of the Certificate of Death is required along with the passport. If you want the cancelled passport returned, you must include a letter stating that request.

Mail the passport, Certificate of Death, and letter requesting cancelled/returned passport (if applicable) to the following address:

U.S. Department of State
Consular Lost and Stolen Passport Unit (CLASP)
44132 Mercure Circle
P.O. Box 1227
Sterling, VA 20166-1227

Click for expedited passport courier service in 24 to 48 hours!.

Expedite Your Passport Now!

Comments: Have Your Say

Leave us a comment in the box below. Please do not include phone numbers or e-mail addresses.