Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Comments for May my ex wife renew my 5 year old daughter's passport without my consent?

Click here to add your own comments

Court-ordered shelter from father 5 years go. Can I get a passport without his consent?
by: Anonymous

Question: My seven-year-old son was sheltered with me by the court. I'm not sure how long the order was in place. Do I have to receive paternal consent for a passport?

Answer: If the order has expired and you do not have documentation saying that you have sole legal custody of the child, paternal consent/presence is required for the child's passport application.

My husband and I are separated
by: Anonymous

Question: My husband and I are separated. We have a 5-year-old daughter. He lives in a different state and I am trying to get a passport for my daughter. The problem is I don't know what state he lives in and I don't know where he is. How do I apply for a passport for my daughter?

Answer: If the father's name is on the birth certificate, his consent is required to apply for your child's passport. It's now easier to track someone down through social media so you can probably start there.

Once you have exhausted all means to contact the father to no avail, you may submit Form DS-5525 along with proof of your failed attempts. Applications of this nature are processed on a case by case basis and there is a chance that it will be rejected.

Passport without my consent
by: Anonymous

Question: We have joint custody and my son is 13 years old. His mother is remarried and I am also remarried. She is the custodial parent. How do I find out if she got a passport for my son without my consent and also what do I do if she did get it without my consent?

Answer: Please call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 regarding your concern.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to May my ex wife renew my 5 year old daughter's passport without my consent?.

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.