Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Comments for I am single father and I am unclear on how to renew my daughter's passport?

Click here to add your own comments

Identity theft victim
by: Anonymous

Question: My illegal immigrant husband is threatening my children. I'm afraid he's been having an affair with his ex and she looks very similar to me, and we almost have the same occupation. We got married in February of this year and he became very controlling more than ever, abusive and he threatens to hurt me and flee with my kids. I finally got the nerve to call the cops on him for assault. I called a legal aid and they said it's up to me if I wanna drop charges and I'm thinking no one has mentioned dropping charges. I'm afraid she's going around him and pretend to be me through the birth certificate he took from me for a weeks. He has given my and my oldest's daughter's birth certificates back. My oldest daughter is not his child. He's has given his ex everything she would need to use my identity. What can I do? Who do I call?

Answer: Please contact your attorney about the matter.

Can I get a passport without the father's consent?
by: Kooky

Question: Can I make my daughter's passport without the father signing? Trying to contact the dad to sign a passport application and notarize it and send it but the new girlfriend is forcing him to refuse to make our daughter's passport application and send it. What can I do? We are taking a vacation overseas but I don't know what to do to get the passport because he just won't agree with me. I'm in Tenn and he's in Hawaii. What can I do?

Answer: If the father's name is on your daughter's birth certificate and she is age 15 or younger, his notarized consent is required.

If he refuses to provide consent, you might get a judge to bypass his signature or order him to sign. We recommend you contact the nearest family court to discuss the issue. You may also want to consult an attorney.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to I am single father and I am unclear on how to renew my daughter's passport?.

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 7 and 10 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 4 to 6 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. ET, call 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, call 202-647-4000.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. ET.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!