Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Comments for Can my 9 year old daughter obtain a passport without my permission?

Click here to add your own comments

My 14-month-old baby
by: Anonymous

Question: My 14-month-old baby's father's name is on the birth certificate but he lives outside the country. How could I get a passport for the baby if he can't sign the application and I can't get in touch with him?

Answer: Social media is always a good way to start contact with the father. Even if he is overseas, he can send you the notarized consent plus a photocopy of his ID to submit with the rest of the application requirements for the child's passport.

Alternatively, you can submit Form DS-5525 along with details of the child's family circumstance. These must be submitted with the rest of the requirements. Please note that applications of this nature are processed on a case by case basis. There is a chance that the application will be denied.

To resolve this issue once and for all, we recommend petitioning for sole legal custody of the child. Even if the child is issued a passport now, you will have to repeat the process every five years until he/she is 16 years old and able to apply for a passport on his/her own.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Can my 9 year old daughter obtain a passport without my permission?.

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.