Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

What do I put down as my permanent address on form DS-11?

by Rachelle
(Grand Rapids, MI)

Question: I recently accepted a teaching job in Arizona. When I move down there on July 1st, I will change my Michigan License and Plates to Arizona. I have been told that because Mexico is so close that a passport is a good thing to have when living down there. I am just not sure what to put down as my address. Currently, I am living with my parents in Michigan.

Answer: Your address is not included on the personal data page of your passport. If you are concerned about where the passport will be sent, it is best to send it where you know someone will be present to receive it.

Routine processing of passport applications takes approximately 4-6 weeks so you could apply now and possibly receive your passport before you move to Arizona. If not, your parents could send it to you.

American citizens can use the newer passport card in order to travel to Mexico by land. It is the size of a credit card so it easily fits in your wallet and it costs less than the passport book.

Of course, if you plan to travel to Mexico by air, then you will need the passport book. Many Americans who live near the borders of Mexico and Canada are opting for both.

For complete details, click the link below.

How to Apply for a New Passport

To find a passport office near you, click the link below.

Michigan Passport Application Acceptance Facilities

Return to Passport Application Form Questions.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 7 and 10 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 3 to 5 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.