This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

My passport is both lost and expired. What steps do I need to take to get a replacement?

by Stef
(Portland, OR, USA)

Question: I lost my passport and it has also expired. What forms do I need to complete to replace it? Are there any additional steps? Am I able to replace it by mail, at a post office, or will I have to travel to a consulate's office?

Answer: If you are unable to submit your most recent passport, then you must apply for a new passport at an application acceptance facility. You can usually find one in a local post office.

The documents that you need to get a passport are:

1. Form DS-11 (Complete but do not sign until requested to do so by a passport agent.)

2. Evidence of citizenship (This can be a certified birth certificate.)

3. Proof of identity (You can use your current driver's license.)

4. Copy of identification document (Must be on 8 1/2" x 11" stock white paper.)

5. One passport photo (Must be 2x2 inches and taken within last 6 months.)

For complete details, links to download application form and a list of fees, click the link below.

Apply for a New Passport

Oregon Passport Offices

Return to Passport Replacement FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.