This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

How do I notify you that I have found my passport?

by Robert
(El Paso,Tx USA)

Question: I recently reported my passport lost but I found it today. I misplaced it when I took it to the Social Security Office for proof of ID. What do I need to do to let you know that it indeed is in my possession? Thank you.

Answer: Passports reported lost or stolen by telephone or by submitting Form DS-64 are invalidated and can no longer be used for travel.

If you reported the lost passport to the State Department, then will have to apply for a new passport. This requires you complete Form DS-11 and submit it, along with other required documents, at a passport acceptance facility.

Click the link below for complete instructions.

How to Apply for a New Passport

Click the following link to find the nearest location to submit the application.

Texas Passport Offices

Comments for How do I notify you that I have found my passport?

Click here to add your own comments

Work Visa in my original passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I had lost my passport, received a new one, and then found my original again. I have a work visa attached to and stamped into my original passport, that I have now located in my apartment. Is there anyway to revert back to the original passport issued so that I may continue to use my work visa?

Answer: Once a passport is reported lost, it is already invalidated and can no longer be used for travel. You cannot revert back to the old passport but it is possible to transfer the valid work visa or travel with both passports.

Please contact embassy or consulate the country for which you have a visa to see if they can transfer the visa to your new passport or if you can travel with a valid visa in an invalid passport plus a valid passport.

Lost Passport, Reported, Found, New Application
by: Anonymous

Question: I lost my passport, reported it lost, and later found the passport. I understand that I must file for a new passport. During the application, it asks if I have the passport, which I do, but it was reported lost. How I respond to that determines how I file for the new passport and also changes the fee. What should I do?

Answer: Once a passport is reported lost, regardless of whether or not it is found thereafter, it is already invalidated. It can no longer be renewed. You, therefore, need to apply for a new passport.

In order to do this, you need to complete Form DS-11 and submit it in person with the following:

1. Evidence of U.S. citizenship
2. Proof of identity and photocopy
3. One passport photo
4. Payment for fees ($110 application fee + $25 execution fee)

Routine service takes 6 to 8 weeks to complete. If you want to speed up the process, you need to add $60 and get your new passport in 2 to 3 weeks.

Found my passport
by: Ruth

Question: My passport No. P USA 55102xxxx was found and returned to me. I had put in a lost passport form in August and need to have you know I now have it back.

Answer: It's good to know your passport was returned to you. However, since you already reported it lost, that passport is already invalid. You can no longer use it for travel.

Found my lost passports a day after submitted form DS64
by: Hong

Question: I located my lost passports a day after submitted form DS-64 to US embassy. Can I call to tell them I found my passports? Can I still travel with the passports?

Answer: When you submit form DS-64, the passport is immediately cancelled and can no longer be used if found. You need to apply for new passports in order to travel. If you have an imminent flight, the embassy can issue you an emergency, limited-validity passport that can later be replaced with a full-validity passport.

What do I do with my invalidated found passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I have already received my new passport after reporting the old one lost. I have just found my old one. What do I do with the old passport that has been invalidated? Do I need to mail it to the government? Should I destroy it?

Answer: We recommend you keep it. Although it has been invalidated, it can still be used as evidence of U.S. citizenship if, per chance, you lose your new passport.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.