Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Form DS-5504: Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement

Application for a US Passport Name Change, Data Correction or Replacement of Limited Validity Passport Form DS-5504

Application Form DS-5504 should be submitted when applying to change your name in a valid passport, extend the validity of a limited passport or correct a printing error. This form should only be used for the first two if your passport was issued less than a year ago. Corrections of printing errors can be requested throughout the validity of the passport.

How to Submit Form DS-5504:

The instructions are straight-forward and easy to understand. There are three steps to the process.

STEP 1: Complete and Print Form

Follow the instructions below to download the passport application form DS-5504:

  1. Right click on the link.
  2. Select "Save Target As..."
  3. Choose the folder where you want to save the form.
  4. Click on "Save"

Form DS-5504 Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement

Click the link to open the form in PDF format: Form DS-5504: Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement (PDF).

After selecting which passport you are applying for (book, card or both), there is a section for personal information such as full name, date of birth, place of birth, sex, social security number, email address, primary contact phone number and mailing address.

There is a place to attach your passport photo and input date about your most recent passport book or passport card. The second page of Form DS-5504 has spaces for you to include your height, hair color, eye color, occupation, employer or school, additional contact phone number, permanent address, emergency contact and travel plans. If you do not have any immediate travel plans, you can leave the spaces blank.

The last three sections pertain to the type of service you require. You only need to complete the one that is relevant to you: whether you need to change the name in your passport, get a correction for a printing error or replace a limited-validity passport.

STEP 2: Sign and Date the Form

The place to sign the application form is actually on page 1 directly under the place to attach a photo.

STEP 3: Submit Completed Form plus Additional Documents Required

Specific documents are required for each type of service. It is important that you submit only documents that are acceptable for the type of request you are making. Incorrect documents can lead to delays. Applicants are encouraged to mail documents using a protective packaging such as a Tyvek envelope and a traceable delivery method.

How long does it take to process Form DS-5504?

Regular processing time takes 4 to 6 weeks. Expedited processing takes up to 3 weeks to complete. If you need have the application processed faster, you should schedule an appointment at a regional processing center or, in case this is not an option, request the assistance of an urgent passport expediter,

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.