Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Which form should I use to correct a typing error on my passport?

by Terri

Question: When I received my passport for the first time a few years ago, it was incorrect and I never went back and had it corrected but now I need a passport to travel. Which form do I need to use?

The incorrect passport that I have now has that I'm from India but I'm from Indiana. I called the post office when I received it to make sure the state wasn't just shortened and they assured me that it was an error and needed to be corrected but I haven't needed a passport until now.

Answer: To correct typing errors in your passport, you need to use application Form DS-5504. Click the link below for more information.

Apply for Passport Corrections

Return to Passport Application Form Questions.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!