This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Can i renew my passport even if can't find it?

by john fraser
(daytona beach, florida, usa)

Question: A few years ago, my house was foreclosed upon and many of my belongings were hastily packed. Shortly after the foreclosure, I got divorced. My ex has the boxes in a storage unit that I can't get into and my expired passport is in the unit. Is there a way I can get the passport renewed even though I do not have it in my possession? (I just realized how "Jerry Springer" this sounds. Sorry)

Answer: In order to renew a passport by mail using Form DS-82, you are required to submit your previously-issued passport. If you are unable to get the expired passport, you will have to appear at an application acceptance facility in order to apply for a new passport.

This means you should complete application Form DS-11 and take it to the nearest Florida passport office along with evidence of United States citizenship, proof of identity, a copy of the ID, a current passport photo and payment for fees.

Note, you should not sign the application until requested to do so by an authorized acceptance agent.

Routine processing is estimated to take up to 6 weeks and expedited service can take up to 3 weeks. Passport renewals can be processed as quickly as the same day at the regional agency in Miami. If you need your passport renewed in a hurry but are unable to personally submit the application at the regional agency, you can authorize a third party to apply for the passport.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.