This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Is there still an official record of my expired passport?

Question: Hello. I'm applying for a new passport because my former one expired years ago. I can't find my old passport to use it as identification, so I was wondering whether there is a record somewhere of the old passport that I could have someone look up. (It's tricky for me to just use my birth certificate because my last name was changed--but not legally--when I was 6 years old.)

Answer: You can apply for a passport record. There is a fee of $150 and it can take up to six weeks to get it. However, you cannot use a passport record as evidence of U.S. citizenship.

If your birth certificate does not show your current legal name and you have not applied for a name change court order, then you can present 3 or more public records that show the exclusive use of your name for at least 5 years. You may also be required to appear with someone who can serve as a witness to your identity.

For a complete list of requirements, click the link below.

Apply for a New Passport

Comments for Is there still an official record of my expired passport?

Click here to add your own comments

Expired, need renewal
by: Anonymous

Question: My passport was issued in 2003, expired in 2013. I have since changed my name. Can I renew my passport with my marriage license?

Answer: As long as your passport is undamaged and you can submit it with your application, you may apply for a passport renewal by mail. In addition to the renewal requirements, you also need to submit the original or a certified copy of your marriage certificate as proof of legal name change. You cannot use your marriage license.

renewal vs new application
by: Anonymous

Question: My passport just expired a month ago. However I prefer not to mail it in to renew it. Is it okay for me to just apply in person for a brand new passport? there are no facilities near me that do in person passport renewals, only brand new passports.

Answer: Yes, you may apply for a new passport altogether instead of applying for a renewal by mail.

Expired Passport
by: Anonymous

Question: You said it has been 15 years but it has only been 7 years. My passport expired in 2010. So, from then to now it is only 7 years. So, I am in the 15 year range. So, I just do renewal with my documents right?

Answer: The 15 years count from the date of issue of your passport not the date of expiration. If your passport expired in 2010, it was issued in 2000. That is more than 15 years ago. You must apply in person.

Expired Passport
by: Anonymous

Question: My passport expired 2010. I still have it. Can I file for renewal and just send in my old passport and my divorce decree and my new marriage documents?

Answer: Since your passport was issued more than 15 years ago, you must apply in person at an application acceptance facility. Visit the following web page for new passport instructions.

Since your previously-issued passport is in a different name than the one you currently use, you also need to submit evidence of the name change.

Passport renewal
by: Anonymous

Question: Hello, my passport is expired last 2011 and I am abroad. I want to renew it. What are the requirement and how much is the fee to renew it.

Answer: Please visit the website of the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general for passport application instructions and fee schedule.

Passport Application Question
by: Anonymous

Question: When applying in person for an expired passport that was issued over 15 years ago, what should you say on the application when it asks if you've ever been issued a passport?

Answer: Yes

Expired Passport
by: sal liggieri

Question: Passport was issued in 1984 and has expired a long time ago. I can't find the passport book so do I apply for new one?

Answer: You need to appear at a passport application acceptance facility in order to apply for a new passport. Even if you had the passport, it was issued more than 15 years ago and, therefore, could not be used to renew a passport by mail.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.