Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

The passport office misspelled my daughters name on her passport.

by Susan
(San Jose, CA USA)

My daughters name (on her birth certificate and social security card EVERYWHERE) is name removed for privacy we just noticed when we looked at her passport recently her name was spelled incorrectly they put down name removed for privacy.

They omitted the 2nd h from her first name. How do we go about getting this fixed? She recently applied for her drivers permit and they refused to put down her correct name because of the passport.



You can request a passport correction using form DS-5504. The instructions are on the form. Printing errors are given top priority and treated as a request for expedited service. Processing takes 2-3 weeks although it can be longer during the holiday season.

If your daughter needs to use the passport within two weeks, she will need to apply for the correction at a regional agency where she can get same day passport service.

Best regards,


Click here to read or post comments

Return to Passport Name FAQ.

Will it be an issue if one letter of my name was printed wrong in my passport?

by Devon
(Los Angeles, CA. USA)

Question: The last letter of my last name was printed with an "S" rather than an "R" on my passport name. Will this cause an issue and if so whats the easiest method of changing it to an "R"?

Answer: Yes, this can be an issue and you should have it corrected. There is a special form to fill out in order to request corrections of printing errors. There is no fee for this service. Note, however, that your current passport will not be returned to you.

For complete details and to download the form, click the link below.

Request Passport Corrections

Click here to read or post comments

Return to Passport Name FAQ.

My daughter's name was misprinted in her passport and it is causing problems

by Courtney
(Wilton Ca)

Question: Two and a half years ago we got a passport for our daughter to go to Mexico. We did not notice the error. I understand it may be easier to get a new passport but it is expensive. Is there a way to get this fixed? If she uses this as ID for her DL, we are afraid it will perpetuate the problem. We are currently getting copies of her birth certificate.

Answer: Your daughter can apply to have the name in her passport corrected at any time during its validity. There is no fee for this service. All she needs to do is submit Form DS-5504: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement Form, her current passport and evidence to support the change request.

Since the passport was issued more than 90 days ago, your daughter also needs to submit two recent passport photos.

The address for mail the application and documents is on the form.

Click here to read or post comments

Return to Passport Name FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 8 and 11 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 5 to 7 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering extremely limited in-person services if you need to travel internationally in the next 72 hours. Those with qualified life-or-death emergencies are prioritized.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 business days).

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 AM to 5PM, call ET 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, 202-647-4000

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!