This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Do I need to get a new passport if my name has changed due to marriage?

by Thea
(Provo, Utah, USA)

Question: I have my old passport that is still valid for several more years, but I got married recently and am going to travel to the British Virgin Islands with my family and my husband. I just want to know if my old passport with my maiden name is still valid and will work to get me to the BVI and back into the US.

Answer: American citizens are required to travel with a passport that has their current legal name. If your name changed due to marriage then you need to apply for a passport name change before you travel.

If your passport was issued less than a year ago, there is no fee. If it was issued more than a year ago, then you need to apply for a passport renewal and pay the appropriate fee.

For a list of requirements, click the link below.

Apply for Passport Renewal

Click here to read or post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

How do I complete the application for passport name change due to marriage?

by Heidi
(Center Cross, VA)

Question: The webs site says that the instructions for filling out the form are not eh back of the page but, when I printed it out, they are not there.

1. The top portion of the application, question 1, page 1, is asking for my name. Should I put in the name that is currently on my passport or my new married name?

2. The box in question 10 "Most recent passport book or card"...What do I put here?

3. Applicant name on page 2...Are you wanting my new name here? I believe so but wanted to double check.

4. Question 20 on page 2 is asking for travel plans. I have none. What do I put here?

Answer: Following are the answers in the order you asked the questions.

1. You put your current legal name on page 1, question 1. This is the name that will appear on the new passport.

2. Enter the passport number in this space.

3. Same name you entered for page 1, question 1. You name is entered here in case the two pages get separated.

4. You can leave page 2, question 20 blank or enter NA for "not applicable".

There is no fee to change the name in your passport if it was issued less than one year ago. If it was issued more than one year ago, you will have to apply for a renewal and pay the appropriate fee.

Click here to read or post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

What fee do I pay if I am updating my passport due to a name change and it has been more than a year?

by Sarah
(Seattle, WA, USA)

Question: I am unsure if I need the new passport book and card, the card, or just the book as listed in the fees chart? I would like to be able to use the passport everywhere.

>Answer: Since your passport was issued more than 1 year ago, you need to apply for a passport renewal using application form DS-82.

A passport book allows you to travel anywhere by land, sea or air. The passport card can only be used for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

The fee for the renewal of a passport book is $75.

Regular processing takes 4-6 weeks and sometimes longer. You can request expedited services and get the name changed in 2-3 weeks. The expedited service fee is $60.

Besides the application form, you must mail:

* Your current, valid U.S. passport

* Applicable fees

* An original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or the government-issued document evidencing your legal name change under federal or state law. NOTE: If you do not want to send your original marriage certificate, you must send a certified copy. You can obtain a certified copy from the vital records office of the state in which you were married. Where to Write for Vital Records

* Two recent, color photos

Send your passport, application and support documents to the address listed on Form DS-82.

If you need the passport name change in less than two weeks, you should schedule an appointment at a regional passport agency or authorize a passport expediter to submit the application for you.

Click here to read or post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.