Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports may take up to 18 weeks for routine service and 12 weeks for expedited processing.

Passport Name Change Addendum Sheet

by Jessica
(Somerset, MA, USA)

Question: I was advised by a travel agent that if my name has changed due to a marriage and I need to change the name on my passport I need to obtain an addendum sheet and don't need to submit a renewal form. Is this advise accurate and if so where can I obtain the form? Is there a charge for this?

Answer: The information that you received is incorrect. Passport Services stopped issuing amendments to valid passport on September 26, 2005. Instead, applicants are issued replacement passports.

The Department of State decided to replace passports instead of amend them to increase the overall security of the travel document. Since passports now possess a RFID chip, the printed data must match the information on the chip. Amendments would not allow for this.

The exact form you need to use, documents you need to submit and the cost of the process depend on when your passport was issued. To help you decide which is the correct way to change the name in your passport, click the link below.

Passport Name Change Instructions

Comments for Passport Name Change Addendum Sheet

Click here to add your own comments

Adding previous married names
by: Anonymous

Question: How can I add my maiden name as well as my previous married name to my passport?

Answer: The easiest way to change the name on your passport is to submit a court order detailing the name change.

Once you have the court order, you may submit it as evidence of legal name change. To apply for the name change, you need to mail Form DS-82, your current passport, the court order, new passport photo and payment for fees to the address on the form.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!