Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Can I have two non-hyphenated last names in my passport?

by Karen
(Los Angeles)

Question: I'm getting married in a few months, and we each plan on adding the other's last name to our current names. So my name will be MyFirst, MyMiddle, MyLast HisLast - two last names, not hyphenated, not run together. Is this going to be difficult to deal with when I apply for the updated passport? Or is it not-unheard-of and won't be a problem?

Answer: As long as you can submit an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate documenting the use of two last names without the hyphen, then you can have them both on your passport.

Note, you are encouraged to include a letter with the application form explaining the use of two non-hyphenated last names in order to prevent any possible error.

Best regards,


Comments for Can I have two non-hyphenated last names in my passport?

Click here to add your own comments

Adding second last name
by: Joseph

Question: When I was 14, I have gotten a passport, but my parents only put my first last name. My legal name has both of my last names, which are on my birth certificate and social security card. My passport expired 2 months ago and I want to add it.

Answer: Since your passport was issued when you were a minor, you cannot renew it. You need to submit a new application. You may enter both of your last names in the application form and present a government-issued ID bearing the same name. The passport will be issued with both last names as long as it is supported by your identification documents.

Passport renew
by: Antonio

Question: I have two last names on my passport but only one on my ID and birth certificate. How can I correct that when renewing my passport?

Answer: Since you are not legally changing your name and have no proof of legal name change, you need to submit a new passport application. This needs to be done in person at a local acceptance facility.

Schedule an Appointment

Two non-hyphenated last names on passport
by: Tony

Question: I have two non-hyphenated last names on my passport, but on my birth certificate, there is only one. Is there a problem with that? How can I correct that in my passport?

Answer: A hyphen difference between your passport and birth certificate is not an issue.

2 last names legally
by: Anonymous

Question: I got one last name but I was wondering if I could have two last names like having my father’s last name first and then my mother's. Could I do that here? Is that legal to do?

Answer: You may go through a court-ordered name change to have two last names legally.

Can I have 1 last name instead of 2
by: Anonymous

Question: My husband and I recently became US citizens, our son was born abroad and has a permanent resident card with his first name, middle initial, and two last names. We are applying for a passport together since he automatically became a US citizen with our certificates.

Can I have his passport issued with his first name, middle name, and 1 last name.? Dropping the second last name.

Answer: The decision on which name will be printed on the passport will be made by the passport agent processing the application. In your son's case, the name on his birth certificate (proof of parental relationship) will likely be followed. You may contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 for more information on the matter.

Name change
by: Anonymous

Question: I have decided to hyphenate my last name after completing my marriage certificate. On my marriage certificate, it has my first and last name but states my new surname as just my husband's name. However, for my passport renewal, I want to hyphenate the Maiden name - Husband's last name. Will this be an issue when I send in my marriage certificate and it does not have it hyphenated?

Answer: Your marriage certificate should still be accepted as your legal name change document.

Dropping second last name for child
by: Anonymous

Question: Our son was born abroad and has 2 last names (father and mother), no hyphen. His Green Card has both last names. We (parents) became US citizens and are going to apply for a US passport for our son. Can we request that they drop the second last name from the passport? How do we do it?

Answer: Since the child's identification (birth certificate and green card) have two last names, the passport will also be issued with two last names. If you would like to drop one, it will be best to have a court-ordered name change.

Hyphenated last name
by: Anonymously

Question: My child has two hyphenated last names (mine-father's). My child only likes using one last name (mine) Now I want to get the child a passport and was wondering if I can apply using one last name (mine)?

Answer: Since the child will not be presenting any identification documents, the basis for his/her name will be his/her birth certificate. Since the document has a hyphenated name, the passport will be issued in that name.

Two Hyphenated last names on my Birth Certificate
by: Jonathan L.

Question: I just received my birth certificate in the mail and learned I have both my father's name and mother's name on my birth certificate, hyphenated. I have been using my father's last name and just learned my birth cert. has both names. I have my DL and other legal documents with my father's last name, as well as plane tickets. Will I have to change my name or could I continue to use only my father's name and will this affect my passport? How should I address my passport? I plan to use only my father's last name since I have been doing so for the past forty years. Thank you.

Answer: Although ideal, it is not required for your passport and other documents to match your birth certificate. You may have your passport as is and continue using only your father's name. Just make sure your tickets and passport match every time you travel to avoid issues with TSA.

2 Last Names
by: Anonymous

Question: I have 2 last names. On my birth certificate and social, they accidentally put my 1st last name as my middle name but on my driver’s license, it has both of my last names correctly. Will I have trouble applying for a passport because of this?

Answer: No, it should not be an issue.

Help please.
by: Anonymous

Question: I’m flying out to Canada pretty soon. Does my Covid card need to have the exact same last name as my passport? It’s hyphenated on my passport but not on my Covid vaccination card.

Answer: Since COVID vaccination cards are fairly new, some differences may be overlooked as long as other details match. Please contact the Canada Border Service Agency and the CBP to confirm that the hyphen will not be an issue.

2 last names
by: Anonymous

Question: I have a similar question. My name goes like this. First Name, Middle Name, Last1, Last2. I have 2 last names. This is confusing many times. While applying for a passport, can I add only the last2 name?

Answer: If you have a government-issued photo ID that also only has that last name, you may omit the other last name on your passport.

Last name
by: Anonymous

Question: I have recently received my passport and realized that my last names are together when they are supposed to be hyphenated. Would this cause an issue for me when traveling?

Answer: No, it will not be an issue. If you're worried, you can simply book tickets to match your passport to avoid potential questions.

by: Anonymous

Question: My full legal name contains 2 last names no hyphen, First Middle Last1 Last2. I'm not sure if they made a mistake at the DMV but in my California ID, my 2 last names are mushed together, Last1Last2.

All of my other legal documents have a space between my 2 last names. Should I be concerned? I know some systems mush them together but my old ID cards have them separate. I had my ID like this for almost two years and I just noticed the mistake. I looked up online what I should do but I got confused. Can someone please help? Will this be an issue for my passport renewal?

Answer: You need to contact the DMV regarding the mistake in your CA ID. As for your passport renewal, there should not be an issue as long as your old passport has the last names separate.

Hyphenated Last name
by: Anonymous

Question: I am turning 18 in a few weeks, and my passport has not been renewed for about 6 years.

I am trying to renew my passport at the moment. On my old passport, my last names are not hyphenated, but on my birth certificate, my last names are hyphenated. Will this be an issue if I put a hyphen on the new passport application, or should I keep the hyphen out like on my old passport?

Answer: The hyphen (with or without) should not be an issue.

Passports issued when one was a minor cannot be renewed. Therefore, you need to submit a new application, not a renewal.

You need to apply in person for your first adult passport. Please prepare the following requirements:

1. Form DS-11 (must be signed in front of a passport agent)
2. Evidence of U.S. citizenship plus a photocopy (birth certificate)
3. Proof of identity plus a photocopy
4. One passport photo
5. Payment for fees

You may submit your application at the nearest acceptance facility. Routine processing currently takes 10 to 12 weeks. If you request and pay for expedited service, processing will be down to 4 to 6 weeks.

I have 2 last name but on my US passport they only put one
by: Anonymous

Question: Hello! I recently got my US passport but I see that they only put one last name instead on putting my 2 last name. Is that okay?

Answer: Because of Real ID, it is ideal to have all your identification documents match, including your passport. You can apply for a correction free of charge.

I have two last names, hyphen between them
by: Anonymous

Question: I have both my mother's last name hyphenated with my birth father's last name (Name-Name). The only documents I have with both last names are my social and birth certificate. I applied for my passport and without a thought, I didn't add my second last name. Will I have any problems? (My school records, license, credit etc. I am known by my mothers last name.)

Answer: Questions might arise but as long as the name is supported by the documents you sent in, things should be straightened out. If there are any issues with your application, you will be contacted by passport services with instructions on how to rectify it.

Hyphen on marriage certificate
by: EG

Question: I was unaware I could just have two last names without a hyphen when I applied for my marriage certificate, so that’s what I put for my "new last name". But after some reading I would like go without a hyphen. Will this be a problem?

Answer: It should not be.

Hyphenated last name but just using one
by: Anonymous

Question: I got married and I kept my last name and hyphenated my spouse last name. I do not want to change my legal documents. Is this okay when I travel outside the county?

Answer: It should be okay as long as the names on your ticket and passport match.

Two last names (not hyphenated) only want one on passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I have 2 last names, and was wondering if I can just use the last one of the 2 on my passport?

Answer: You can as long as that name is supported by the ID that you present with the application.

Do I have to use both last names?
by: Anonymous

Question: My current state license has my hyphenated married last name (my maiden last-his last). I am currently going through a divorce and will legally be back to just my maiden name soon. I am applying for a passport before the divorce is legal. Am I able to use just my maiden name to apply for the passport? (Since it is also on my license?) and just leave the hyphenated name off?

Answer: The passport will be issued in the name you enter in the application form as long as it is supported by either your citizenship evidence or proof of identity.

Child's passport
by: Anonymous

Question: Might sound stupid but If my child has 2 last names (both my last name and her father's last) printed on her passport, would there be any issue with travel if my passport only has one of the same last names or as long as it matches one of the last names, everything will be okay?

Answer: It should not be a problem as long as the names on the passport and tickets match.

Not Added Married Last Name
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi!

When I got married I simply added my married last name to my license and social security cards, and left my maiden on both as well. My passport only has my maiden name on it. Can I still use it since both my social security card and license show my maiden name as well as my married name?

Answer: You may continue to use your passport bearing your maiden name until it expires. Just make sure to book tickets in that same name that appears on it avoid issues when traveling.

I have both last names in all my documents
by: Anonymous

Question: I have both last names in my drivers license, social security and birth certificate but in my passport I only have my first last name. Is that going to be an issue in the future for traveling or subscribing to programs or institutions that request two ID proofs?

And, should I use both last names always or only my first?

Answer: It should not be an issue. You may use any name as long as you have identification to show for it.

Passport Last Name Usage
by: Morgan

Question: If I have two last names, but I decide to just choose the last one in my passport, would that be OK?

Answer: U.S. citizens are required to use their current legal names on their U.S. passports. Unless you can provide documentation that proves sole use of that one last name instead of two, you need to include both last names in your passport application.

by: Kristi S

Question: Hi,

I have a current passport and I hyphenated my last name with my former married name and my maiden name. My Georgia driver's license was changed to my maiden name; will I be able to still use my current passport? I'm looking to travel out of the country in about three weeks.

Answer: You may travel with your current passport as long as you book your tickets in the same name as what is printed in it.

different names on name change document and social security card bc of character limits
by: Anonymous

Question: Hello, I changed my name after marriage to a double (non-hypenated) last name. However, my initial plan was to move my last name to a extra middle name (which is reflected on my marriage license), but because of character limits at the social security administration, my legal name change on my social security office made it so that I have two last names (which is also what I use on my license). Do I need to go in person to change the name on my passport since it is not what is reflected on my name change document? What would I need to bring? Thank you.

Answer: If you cannot submit proof of the name change, you must apply in person. According to the Department of State, you will not need to provide proof of the name change if your name has changed due to a marriage and you have already been issued an ID in your new name. You must include the details of the marriage in the applicable section on Form DS-11. You will also need evidence of U.S. citizenship, proof of identity, a recent passport photo and payment for fees. For a complete list of requirements, click here.

Passport name change - question about the FORM
by: Ioulia

Question: Dumb question - when it says "Passport was issued less than a year ago" or "More than one year ago", does that count renewals?

Meaning....I've had a passport since I was a kid. My most recent passport was renewed in Mar 2014. So, is that less than a year? Or are we talking about my very first passport (in which case it's over a year).

Answer: The requirement refers to your most recent passport. If it was issued in Mar 2014, then you can submit Form DS-5504 by mail with your current passport, your name change document (original or certified copy), and a color passport photo.You will not have to pay any passport or processing fees, unless you request Expedited Service.

Name on passport
by: ioulia

Question: I have a question along the same lines. I am going to be legally changing my first name and making my current first name as a middle name. I am also THINKING about adding my mother's maiden name as a "secondary" middle name. (like a lot of Latinas have). So again, it won't be hyphenated. My name will be:
MyFirstName My1stMiddleName My2ndMiddleName MyLastName.

Is this going to create a problem? I need to know before I actually put in the name change. I've already checked with the PA DOT In regards to how it will appear on my drivers license. But I need to know how it's going to appear on my passport.

Answer: It is possible to include first name, two middle names and last name on a passport as long as the number of characters in your full name does not exceed the number of spaces available in the passport. If that happens, the Acceptance Agent at the location where you apply will work with you to determine the best way to include your name in the passport.

For more information, visit How to Change the Name in a Passport.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport Name FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.