This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Regarding replacing a lost passport in Italy earlier this year

by Brett
(Deerfield, Il)

Question: I lost my passport while studying abroad in Italy earlier this year. I was given a temporary one and paid $100 at the US consulate with the understanding that I would not have to pay for a permanent one once I arrived back in the US.

I have since misplaced the documentation regarding this issue and would like to obtain a new passport. How should I handle this?

Answer: In order to replace an emergency, limited-validity passport without having to pay the application fees, you must meet two requirements.

1. You must apply to renew the limited-validity passport within one year of its issuance.

2. You must be able to submit the passport with your application.

Since the limited-validity passport was lost and you cannot submit it, then you will have to apply for a new passport using Form DS-11 and pay the appropriate fees. You also need to report the loss of the passport. For complete instructions, click the link below.

How to Replace a Lost Passport

Return to Passport Replacement FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.