Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Comments for Passport Renewal and Name Change

Click here to add your own comments

Maiden Name on Marriage License
by: Anonymous

Question: I am applying for a name change to my current passport. My marriage license lists my maiden name and my name was legally changed a few months later. Will my marriage license suffice for form DS-82 if my new name is not listed? If not, what document do I need to share? I already have my new social security with my new name and new driver's license.

Answer: Your marriage license will not suffice. You need to submit the original or a certified copy of your marriage certificate. It will be accepted as proof of legal name change since it will have both yours and your spouse's name.

Name Change
by: Name Change

Question: My expired passport (issued within 15yrs) has my name from my first marriage. Since then I returned to my maiden name, then was married for the second time. My marriage certificate shows my maiden name, I changed my name on my SS card 3 months later. Can I renew online or do I need to go in person and fill out a new application? Either way, what paperwork do I need to submit?

Answer: You may complete the renewal form online but you need to print it out and mail it with the rest of the requirements. Here's a list of what you need:

1. Form DS-82
2. Expired passport
3. Original or certified copy of divorce decree and most recent marriage certificate
4. One new passport photo
5. Payment for fees

Please note that standard service can take up to 16 weeks, 12 weeks if you expedite. We strongly recommend waiting for the new passport to arrive before making any final travel arrangements.

If you need the passport sooner than the times mentioned, you may contact a private courier like Rush My Passport to get your passport in more or less 4.5 weeks.

Married Outside the U.S.
by: Marisa

Question: I was married outside the U.S. What do I put in the Place Where Name Change occurred since it is not the typical City/State information?

Would I put the Parish that I was married in?

Answer: You may enter the City and Country where you were married.

Name change
by: Nadine

Question: On the application regarding a name change, it asks "Place of name change" (City/State). What does this refer to? The city where the marriage took place or the city where Social Security changed my name legally?

Answer: Please enter the date and place where the marriage (wedding) took place.

Change name (adopted) and Renew Stolen passport
by: Josh

Question: My passport that was issued with my birth name expired last year. I was adopted and have legally changed my name so I need to also change my name. My passport was recently stolen by an angry ex. I’m not even sure where to begin but I need to process ASAP because I have an international flight booked a week from now that’s an emergency trip. How do I go about this?

Answer: Since you no longer have your most recently-issued passport, you need to submit a new application.

The process should be pretty straightforward even with the name change as long as your IDs are already in the new name.

You need to submit the following requirements in person:

1. Form DS-11
2. Amended birth certificate (original plus photocopy)
3. Government-issued ID bearing new name
4. One new passport photo
5. Payment for fees

The only entity that can issue a passport in your required time is a regional passport agency. Unfortunately, appointments are extremely limited at the moment.

If you are in a qualified life-or-death emergency, you may call 1-877-487-2778/ 1-888-874-7793 (TTY/TDD) for an appointment. Live agents are available Mondays through Fridays, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Time. Make sure that you have all your requirements, proof of the emergency (medical/death certificate in English) and proof of urgent international travel (itinerary, ticket, reservation) specific to the emergency when you go to your appointment.

If your trip is not related to a life-or-death emergency, you may still try to secure an appointment here. Your appointment date must be 3 business days before your scheduled trip.

Did not get back naturalization papers
by: Vin

Question: I sent out my naturalization papers along with my passport application months ago. I received my passport but not my naturalization papers, what do I do or who do I go to to try and get it back?

Answer: Hi, Vin. You may contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 regarding your concern.

Adoption name change
by: Jerry

Question: I adopted my step daughter. She became a citizen because her mom other became a naturalized citizen. My daughter has a US passport with her old last name. I have court documents from the adoption with her new last name and birth certificate from state of Florida, however there is no reference to her old last name on any of them. I did change her SS card already.

Answer: Your daughter will not need to present proof of name change because she will be submitting a new application anyway. Just present the new documents with the new name.

Adoption name change
by: Jerry

Question: I adopted my step daughter. She became a citizen because her mom other became a naturalized citizen. My daughter has a us passport with her old last name. I have court documents from the adoption with her new last name and birth certificate from state of Florida, however there is no reference to her old last name on any of them. I did change her ss card already.

Answer: If she is a minor, she will not need name change documents since she will submit a new application. Just submit the new documents with the new name.

How will a name change affect my renewal?
by: Anonymous

Question: My passport expires in 2 years; however I need to make a name change. Will my passport renew for 10 years from now or will it still expire in 2022?

Answer: You will be issued a new passport that will expire 10 years after issuance.

Name correction
by: Lupe

Question: I'd like to correct my name "Lupe" to my birth name "Guadalupe". What form do I fill out and what is the cost?

Answer: If you cannot present proof of legal name change, you need to submit a new application in person. Please prepare the following requirements:

1. Form DS-11 (must be signed in front of a passport agent)
2. Evidence of U.S. citizenship plus photocopy
3. Proof of identity plus photocopy
4. One passport photo
5. Payment for fees

You may find the closest passport office and schedule an appointment here:

Change my name on my passport
by: Harwinder Singh

I have my passport but the person who processed it entered "Singh" as my surname. It is not my surname, "Khurmi" is. On my Adhaar card or my bank copy, I changed my name "Harwinder Singh Khurmi". I applied for a passport name change but she said my last name should still be "Singh" unless it's published in a gazette. She said they will issye the passport thereafter. What can I do ? Please help me.

Answer: Do you have a U.S. passport?

renew/name change
by: Anonymous

Question: Need to renew passport also make a name change (married). I'll be doing this at my local library. Which passport application do I fill out?

Answer: If you are eligible to renew your passport by mail, you will send a completed form DS-82. Otherwise, use form DS-11. Click the link below to verify your eligibility.

Passport Renewal Requirements

Section 11 ds-82
by: Brianna

Question: In section 11 of form DS-82, are they looking for the city, state and date of the marriage or the city, state and date of the social security office when I legally changed my name two months later?

Answer: Please enter the information from the official marriage certificate issued by the county where you were married.

Renewing an amended passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I need to renew my passport. It was originally issued in my maiden name but it was later amended to my married name. I am now requesting a renewal passport. I assume that because my first passport was already amended that I do not need to provide a copy of my certified marriage certificate. Is this correct?

Answer: That is correct. You do not need to send your marriage certificate.

Unreturned Documents
by: Anonymous

Question: I recently renewed 3 passports but did not receive my original documents (birth certificates, marriage certificate & original passports) back. How do I obtain them?

Answer: Supporting documents are mailed separately from the passports. They usually arrive within a few days after the arrival of the passport. If more than 10 days has passed since the arrival of your new passport, call 1-877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Return to Passport Renewal and Name Change.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 8 and 11 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 5 to 7 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering extremely limited in-person services if you need to travel internationally in the next 5 business days. Those with qualified life-or-death emergencies are prioritized.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 5 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 AM to 5PM, call ET 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, 202-647-4000

You can schedule your appointment up to 2 weeks before your international travel but the date of your appointment must be within 5 business days of your international travel. If you need a foreign visa, the date of your appointment must be within 10 business days of your international travel.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!