This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

My passport has been expired for 5 years

by Romani
(Ventura, CA)

Question: My passport has been expired for 5 years, I need to get to the UK for a bereavement. Where do I go for an emergency renewal? I have an airline ticket and the name of a funeral home in the UK for proof. Thank you.

I have just forgotten to renew it. I have been very busy with my work. My grandmother just passed away and I would like to be there at the funeral. I am heartsick that my passport is expired. Please help me.

Please email me where to go or what to do. I live in Ventura County, Ventura and am a naturalized citizen from the UK. My passport was issued to me in London a little less than 15 years ago in December. I am so sorry that it expired, I am so mad at myself, but what is done is done and I want to be with my family in the UK. I will be glad to receive a call regarding this.

The funeral is set for sometime February 25-26. I can provide information about the name of the funeral home or director's name. I will have an airline ticket also as proof. Please tell me I can get my passport updated or issued for this UK visit. Thank you so much.

I am very hopeful that I can get a renewal in this emergency situation. Please email me what I can do. Thank you so much.

Answer: It is possible get your passport before your departure date on the 20th. As long as you were not a minor when your passport was issued and it is not damaged, you can still apply for a passport renewal. Otherwise, you need to submit Form DS-11 and supporting documents for a new passport.

There are two ways you can expedite this process. One, you can schedule an appointment at the Los Angeles Passport Agency. The second method is to employ the assistance of a qualified passport expediting service. Expediters can submit the application for you at the agency.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Expiration FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.