Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Limited Passport

by Rhonda
(Rockville, MD 20851)

Question: My husband and I were issued limited passports (passport for one year only). The passport says see page 27 which says replacement may be issued under 22 CFR 51.41. They expired last January (9 months ago) but we now need to renew them.

How do we know why we were given only 1 year passports? What documentation would they need for a full passport? Where do we find this information? We are going to Jamaica in February so we need to figure this out. Thank you.

Answer: Since the limited-validity passports expired, you and your husband need to apply for passport renewals using form DS-82. You also need to submit the expired passports and one passport photo each.

Since the limited passports were issued under 22 CFR 51.41, you are required to submit proof of citizenship. This can be certified birth certificates or previous full-validity passports.

Mail the completed applications, supporting documents and appropriate fee to the address on the application form. Routine processing takes 4-6 weeks.

Return to Passport Replacement FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 10 and 13 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 7 to 9 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Expedite Your Passport Now!