Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

If I live in California, can I renew my passport in New York?

by Rachel V

Question: I am a student at NYU and will be studying abroad next fall. My passport expires in November and I was 15 when it was first issued. I live in California. However, NYU keeps our passports until we leave in the fall, therefore I will not be in possession of my passport when I return to California in May to renew. Can I renew my passport while I am here in New York if I have the proper documentation?

Answer: You can apply for a new passport in New York as long as you have the proper documentation. Since you were a minor when your current passport was issued, you must appear in person at an application acceptance facility.

The application you need to submit is Form DS-11. It must be signed in the presence of a passport agent. You can present either a birth certificate or your current passport as evidence of U.S. citizenship.

If you apply at a New York Passport Office and submit out-of-state primary identification, you must present an additional ID document, as well. For example, if you apply with a California Driver's License, you must present a second ID containing as much of the following information as possible: your photo, full name, date of birth and the document issuance date.

You will also need one recent passport photo and payment for the fees. There is an application fee of $110 and an execution fee of $25. The former is paid to the Department of State while the latter is paid to the Acceptance Facility.

Comments for If I live in California, can I renew my passport in New York?

Click here to add your own comments

by: Rhoda

Question: Can I renew my passport in New York even though I live in Los Angeles California? I can't get an appointment scheduled in PCG LA and PCG San Francisco.

Answer: I am not sure what you mean by PCG but I am assuming it stands for Philippine Consulate General. You need to contact the Philippine Consulate General in New York to find out if they can accommodate out-of-jurisdiction applicants.

Minor passport renewal
by: Anonymous

Question: My son's passport was first issued in Massachusetts. However, his father lives in New York and cannot travel to MA to renew my son passport. Can I go there and submit the renewal in NY?

Answer: Passports issued to minors cannot be renewed. You need to apply for your child's new passport the same way you applied for the previous one. However, the location will not matter. If you are presenting an out-of-state ID, you only need to present another ID.

If the father cannot be present for the submission, he may mail a notarized statement of consent to you plus a photocopy of his ID for you to submit with the application.

New passport
by: Miguel

Question: I just moved to California but my ID is from Nevada. Can I get a NEW passport and show up to the acceptance agency in California with my Nevada ID?

Answer: Hello, Miguel. Yes, you can apply for a new passport in California. However, since you will be presenting an out of state ID, you need to present additional proof of identity such as your Social Security cardm voter's registration or company ID.

by: Sam

Question: I have my passport and live in New Jersey. I have to renew this week. Can I go to Philadelphia in one of there offices to renew.

Answer: If you are referring to the regional agency in Philadelphia, you can only apply there if you schedule an appointment and present proof of travel within two weeks or within four weeks if you also need to get a visa. For more information, visit Applying for Expedited Service at a Regional Passport Agency.

Alternate Acceptable ID?
by: Cindy

Question: Since my daughter is from Texas and in school in CA what other "ID" is considered acceptable to renew her Passport? Her original passport was when she was 8 YRS old. She has her original passport as well as her Texas Drivers License and a school ID. Does she also need her birth certificate to renew to get an adult Passport?

Answer: A previously-issued passport is acceptable as evidence of U.S. citizenship as long as it is not significantly damaged. The second ID must contatin as much of the following information as possible: photo, full name, date of birth and the document issuance date.

I live in California. Can I renew my passport in New York
by: Rachel V

Question: Thank you William. I am not sure I understand correctly. You have given me instructions on how to apply for a NEW passport and the link you provided is an application for a new passport only, not a renewal. I wish to renew my old passport while I am in NY but keep the CA address. Also, what if I do not have any other form of photo ID other than my CA ID? I have my NYU student card. Other than that, I have my original birth certificate as well as my social security card. Please advise. Thanks again.

Answer: Rachel, I provided you with a link to instructions for obtaining a new passport because passport issued to minors cannot be renewed by mail. Since you were 15 when your current passport was issued, you must appear in person and apply for a new passport.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 7 and 10 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 3 to 5 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.