Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

How can I renew my passport if I can't mail it in?

Question: I need my passport everyday since I work in Mexico. What is the best way to renew, since I can't mail it in with form DS-82? Passport will expire in October.

Answer: There are a few options available to you. If you possess a passport card, you can apply for a passport book. If you possess a passport book, you can apply for a passport card. Therefore, when you mail in your current passport for renewal, you will have the other to use to enter Mexico and return to the United States.

A holder of a passport book can apply for the card using Form DS-82, Application for a Passport Renewal by Mail. Since you cannot send your current passport, you will have to apply for the card by appearing at an application acceptance facility to submit Form DS-11 and all supporting documents.

Another option is to wait until a couple of weeks from your passport's expiration date and apply at a regional passport agency. It is possible to obtain a passport at one of these processing centers as quickly as the same day. Note, agencies usually only attend to American citizens with emergency travel needs such as a death in the family or serious illness. They usually try to accommodate other travel needs but be aware that there is no guarantee your application will be accepted.

Finally, you can enroll in the SENTRI trusted travelers program. Specifically, SENTRI - Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection - is a WHTI-compliant document that offers a more convenient way for travelers who visit Mexico frequently to cross the U.S. and Mexico border with a pre-approved pass or ID.

Note, the passport card and SENTRI card can only be used for land travel. If you travel to Mexico by air, you must present a valid passport book.

Click here to post comments

Return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!