Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can I renew my passport without sending the old one so I can travel?

by Devin Wilson
(Carolina Beach, NC, USA)

Question: I travel quite often with different organizations such as Operation Smile and Lifeworks International. Normally at least once a month. My passport will expire in about 10 months. Is there any way I can get my new passport without having to send the current one in as this would make it impossible for me to travel?

Answer: There are a few different ways to handle this situation. One, you can wait until a week before the passport's expiration date and apply for expedited service by mail. Currently, this service is estimated to take between 2 and 3 weeks but is sometimes completed sooner. Of course, this method requires you be without a passport for this period of time.

Another option is to wait until less than 2 weeks before the passport's expiration date and submit the application at a regional passport agency. In many cases, the new passport can be issued the same day. The closest agencies to Carolina Beach are in Atlanta and Washington, DC.

Finally, you can apply for a second passport. Second passports are only issued in special circumstances. American citizens who travel frequently, especially to countries that require visas, can sometimes obtain a second passport. For more information about this option, click the link below.

Second Passport Information

Comments for Can I renew my passport without sending the old one so I can travel?

Click here to add your own comments

Lost passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I cannot find my old passport. What do I do to get a new one?

Answer: If your old passport is still valid, you need to report the loss by calling 1-877-487-2778 or by submitting Form DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport. Then, you can start the process of applying for a new one.

If it is already expired, you do not need to report it. You can then proceed to applying for a new passport by gathering the following documents:

1. Form DS-11 (completed but unsigned)
2. Evidence of U.S. citizenship
3. Proof of identity
4. Photocopy of ID
5. New passport photo
6. Payment for fees

Please submit your application in person at the nearest acceptance facility. Routine service takes 6-8 weeks to complete while expedited service takes 2-3 weeks.

Submitting passport
by: Bo

Question: Having to surrender a passport to renew is possibly the stupidest law, particularly in this age of instant communication. Being without a passport for those weeks is absolutely unnecessary; you have our info on your screen. You just don't want to make the effort to update your rules/system. Let the office punch the current one, put an 8-week marker on it; there is no need to make people jump through hoops just because you want both of them physically in your hands. If there has been no illegal activity, let the person keep it while they renew; just give your offices an 8-week permanent stamp so they don't exist for years with two passports. You can correct this; there are thousands of people who shouldn't have to travel to your distant office because of your inefficiency.

Answer: As is stated at the top of every page of our website, this is a privately owned website and not a government agency. If you would like to register a formal complaint with the U.S. Department of State's Passport Services, you can do that here.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!