This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Can I have two middle names on my passport?

Question: I have a couple of very complicated questions/situations. First off, I legally changed my FULL birth name many years ago. I obtained a passport in my then legally changed name. I moved at one point and lost the passport. Actually, I believe it was stolen. However I never contacted passport services and just forgot about it.

Now, it gets even more complicated. I recently went back to my birth name,(not just maiden name but full birth name) but ADDED my legally changed first name as a middle name (since that is what I have been known by for years), therefore giving me two middle names.

I want my passport to reflect my FULL legal name with both middle names. The problem is DMV wont put full name on driver's license or even first name and two middle initials. They said if they add another name it will be part of the last name as their system doesn't allow for two initials or spaces for extra names which I find ridiculous because a lot of people especially from different countries, ie; Mexico, Spain, have very long names. My social security card will have full legal name, and I have court documents.

So my question is, what documents do I need since my original passport was in a different name then what was on my birth certificate and now I went back to birth name with an added name but my license won't show name correctly without it being part of last name.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, it wont even be in correct order on the license. Bottom line is I just want my passport to show the complete full legal name and in the proper order as it shows on my court documents and social security card.

Answer: You must apply for a passport in your current legal name. This requires you submit documentation to prove that the name you are requesting is, in fact, your legal name.

Documents that are accepted include a marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption decree or court order. If you do not have one of these, you can submit public records that prove exclusive use of the name for a period of at least 5 years.

Adding the legally changed name to your birth name does not make it legal. If you want to obtain a passport in that name, you must apply for a court ordered name change. Once you have this document, you can request the full name in your passport. Contact the county court office about applying for a name change.

Comments for Can I have two middle names on my passport?

Click here to add your own comments

Drivers License Names
by: Anonymous

I work in a hotel and we ask for your ID at check in. I've seen several American drivers licenses especially for Latino men with full multiple names listed on them. The longest I saw was the last name Ruiz and he had 3 middle names and then his first name all on a South Carolina license. I guess they allow that now.

Adding middle name
by: Anonymous

Question: My passport does not have my middle name. When I renew my passport can I add my middle name? Do I need to provide proof?

Answer: You may add your middle name. It will make the process quicker if you send proof in case questions arise.

Middle name has an extra space

Question: I have two birth certificates, one is handwritten (by my father) and the other is typed. Although both are signed and certified as official, original and identical, there is a minor difference. My father wrote my middle name (and his) as "LeRoy" but it looks like it could be "Le Roy" (with a space). The person who made the typed certificate typed "LeRoy" (no space). My passport says "LE ROY" and my Driver's Licence says "LEROY".
I have never had a problem, but times have changed. Should I change my passport to "LEROY"?

Answer: It should still not be an issue since the only difference is a space. But if you want to apply for a new passport with the spelling that matches your typed birth certificate, you can.

by: Anonymous

Question: If my license doesn't have both middle names that were given to me at birth, will this pose a issue? I have my birth certificate and social security card that show my birth given name. What else would I need?

Answer: The passport will be issued in the name you enter on the application form as long as it is supported by either your birth certificate or driver's license.

Dropping a middle name
by: Anonymous

Question: I currently have a hyphenated middle name on my passport (i.e Mary-Anne). My driver's license only has 1 of the names (Anne). Can I get a new passport with just 1 middle name (Anne)?

Answer: If you cannot provide proof of legal name change, you can apply for a new passport instead of a renewal. The passport will then be issued in the name you enter in the form as long as it matches the name on the ID you present with the application.

Do I need to include my second middle name
by: Anonymous

Question: Do I need to get a new passport? I legally added a second middle name. My passport currently shows JXXXXX DXXXXX Smith but I had it changed to JXXXXX DXXXXX-EXXX Smith. I'm getting ready to travel internationally and wanted to inquire if I need to obtain a new passport or can I continue to use my existing one?

Answer: We obscured your name for security reasons. You may travel using your current passport as long as you book your tickets in the same name that appears in it. A mismatch between your passport and tickets will cause issues with TSA.

Two middle names
by: Anonymous

Question: What is the maximum number of characters including spaces for a name on a US passport (including first, middle names, last name)?

Answer: There is no character limit. If your name does not fit the space provided in the application form, you can write it down in a separate piece of paper and just label it accordingly.

Continuing on with change of name by usage
by: Anonymous/Molly

Question: I just received a reply to my original question about name change by usage. It says three documents that have date of birth and place of birth. None of my documents have place of birth. My life insurance and medical insurance have only date of birth. My research has shown that no legal documents show place of birth except a birth certificate and passport. But the latter is the very thing I am trying to change by usage.

Answer: Please send what you have. If additional documents are required, Passport Services will contact you.

Name change by usage
by: Molly

Question: I have a hyphenated surname with my maiden and husband's last name. I want to drop my husband's name but still keep my maiden as part of my full name. I have been using my maiden name for the last several years. I read about the documents required. I have a check book, a life insurance policy and voter's registration. Is this sufficient? The checkbook and voter's registration does not have any personal information. Only the life insurance has my DOB information. Can I process this in-person at the Mpls passport center?

Answer: Name changes by customary usage must be supported by documentary evidence of use of the new name for a period of five years; that is, three original or certified copies of public records that show the applicant’s name, date and place of birth and use of the assumed name for five years. Additional documents may be requested.

If you do not have documents that prove the use of the name for more than five years or you do not have a sufficient number of documents, we recommend you petition for a court ordered name change. Once the petition has been approved, you can submit the court order as evidence of a legal name change.

Drop middle name
by: Anonymous

Question: Can you drop your legal middle name in your new passport application without having to legally change your name?

Answer: You can leave off the middle name at time of renewal even if it was in the prior passport. We always recommend you include a letter just to make the State Dept aware of the change even though the application is sufficient. Name change document not required.

Adding middle name
by: Anonymous

Question: What do I need to add my middle name to my passport? I didn't add my middle name before and, due to circumstances, I decided to add it.

Answer: If your passport was issued within the last 12 months, mail it with a completed Form DS-5504, a copy of your ID and your birth certificate to the address on the form. If your passport was issued more than 12 months ago, you must apply for a passport renewal and pay the appropriate fees.

2 middle names
by: ioulia

Question: I have a question along the same lines. I am going to be legally changing my first name to what they call me in Greece. I will then make my current first name as a middle name. I am also THINKING about adding my mother's maiden name as a "secondary" middle name. (like a lot of Latinas have). This is not a hyphenated last name or even a non-hyphenated last name. If I do this, then my name will be as follows:
MyFirstName My1stMiddleName My2ndMiddleName MyLastName.

Is this going to create a problem? I need to know before I actually put in the name change. I've already checked with the PA DOT In regards to how it will appear on my drivers license. It took weeks to find out, but they allow the driver to decide how we want it on our DL when there is a long name. So I can put:

MyFirstName My1stMiddleINITIAL My2stMiddleINITIAL MyLastName.

OR I can choose for my DL to say:

MyFirstName My1stMiddleNAME My2stMiddleINITIAL MyLastName.

I know they can't put it all on there as it won't fit, so when I submit my request to change my DL (along with legal documentation that it was changed), I have to put a note on there saying how I want it to read on my DL.

That being said - how does it work for the passport? If my legal documentation shows all 4 names (not my DL, but let's say my court order), will the passport have all 4 names?

Again, I haven't made the change yet - I'm trying to decide if I want a 2nd middle name period. If it's not going to show on anything, then perhaps it's not even worth it and I'll just stick to the first name change.

Hope this isn't too confusing!

Answer: As with a driver's license, the passport has a limit of characters that can be entered for a name. You can include all four names if they fit. If not, the Acceptance Agent will work with you to decide what the best form is to use in your passport.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.