Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Can I continue to use my passport in my maiden name?

by K

Question: I got married last year in the US and legally changed my name. My husband and I are currently living in Guatemala and my residency visa is in my current passport with my maiden name.

I also have visas to travel to other countries, and they are also in my maiden name. Can I hold on to my maiden name passport until it expires, or must I change it now? How will that affect my visas? I know that once I change my name in the passport, they return the old one, but that it is then voided, so I am not sure how I can enter other countries. Thank you!

Answer: Best practice and the one that has least potential for problems is to travel with a passport that has your current legal name in it.

Once your new passport is issued in your current name, the old passport will be invalidated and returned to you. There are a few countries that allow you to enter with your valid passport and the visa in the invalidated passport. Most others require you apply for either a transfer of the visa the new passport or a completely new visa. You need to check with the embassy or consulate general of each nation for which you have valid visas.

Guatemala likely has regulations requiring the update of your residence visa due to name change. Contact the immigration agency that oversees the issuance of residency visas there.

You can apply for a passport name change at the U.S. Embassy in Guatemala City.

Comments for Can I continue to use my passport in my maiden name?

Click here to add your own comments

Renovar pasaporte
by: Anonymous

Question: Hola.. mi hermana tiene apellido de soltera en su pasaporte y en su Targeta verde de casada , ella se divorció, pero no cambió el apellido , todos sus documento legales están apellido de casada, ella puede cambiar el apellido en su pasaporte o puede renovarlo igual con apellido de soltera?? Gracias.

Answer: ¡Hola! Siempre que su país de origen permita cambiar su apellido en el pasaporte incluso después de un divorcio, entonces sí, puede cambiarlo.

Maiden name and last name of mother
by: Anonymous

Question: On my birth certificate I have my maiden name and the last name of my mother, for example: Maria Tagupa Malto. Then my mother only entered her first and last name on my birth certificate, for example, Leonor Malto. There is no father's name entered on my birth certificate because I'm an illegitimate child. Can I still get a passport?

Answer: Yes, you may apply for a passport.

Pasaporte apellido de soltera
by: Anonymous

Question: Hola , estoy divorciada pero aún no he cambiado mi apellido , mi green card y todos mis documentos están con apellido de casada , pero mi pasaporte está apellido de soltera , quiero saber si puedo renovar mi pasaporte dominicano con apellido de soltera ? aunque mi green card este de casada?

Answer: Hola! Comuníquese con la Embajada de la República Dominicana para obtener asesoramiento sobre su pasaporte. También puede comunicarse con el USCIS con respecto a su green card.

Maiden name
by: Anonymous

Question: In my birth certificate I have my mother's maiden name while my mother has no maiden name entered in my birth certificate. Can I still get a passport? All my IDs have the maiden name and I'm an illegitimate child.

Answer: Yes, you may still apply for a passport.

Passport, Driver's license, and birth certificate have different names
by: Anonymous

Question: I got divorced and legally changed my name back to my maiden name. I am now married to someone else and have legally changed my name to my husband's last name. My passport is in my previous married name, my birth certificate is in my maiden name, and my driver's license and SS card are in my current married name...I am going on a closed-loop cruise in 2 weeks, what do I use for identification?

Answer: You may use any valid identification document. We recommend using the one that matches your cruise tickets but bring your passport, birth certificate and marriage certificate in case questions arise.

Maiden name on passport
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi, I am planning to go abroad next month and I am married. Some of my new IDs like my national id and vaccination card are in my husband's last name but my passport is still not changed/updated. I still have my maiden name on it and it’s valid until 2029. Is there a problem if I use my passport and book a plane ticket the same as my passport?

Answer: As long as your passport and tickets match, you should be able to travel.

Change to maiden name in my passport
by: Anonymous

Question: My passport's last name indicates my husband's surname. It has been expired for two years now.

I want to change my surname back to my maiden since all my IDs state my maiden name. Can I apply for a new passport using my maiden name since we are separated for 7 years now? Or should I have my legal papers to change my husband's surname to apply it to my passport? Can I apply for a new passport or renew?

Answer: If you did not go through divorce and have no proof of legal name change, you need to submit a new passport application instead of a renewal.

Passport in Married Name
by: Anonymous

Question: My recently expired passport is in my married name, however, my SS#, DL, and military dependent ID all show my maiden & married name listed as my last name (no hyphen). What form do I use and will my marriage certificate suffice since it shows my maiden name and married name as proof of name change?

Answer: Since this is not technically a name change, just the addition of your maiden name, you cannot use the renewal form and submit your marriage certificate.

You need to submit a new application and present your license with the name you want to be printed on your passport. The requirements need to be submitted in person at a local acceptance facility.

Schedule an Appointment

Please prepare the following:

1. Form DS-11
2. Evidence of U.S. citizenship (original or certified copy plus photocopy)
3. Driver's license (present ID, submit a photocopy)
4. One new passport photo
5. Payment for fees:
-application fee: $110
-execution fee: $35 (separate check)
-expedite fee: $60 (optional)
-1-2 days delivery: $18.32 (optional, recommended)

Standard service takes 8 to 11 weeks. Pay the expedite fee if you want to get your passport in 5 to 7 weeks. We strongly recommend not making any final travel arrangements until your receive your passport.

Get Passport Fast

About passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I got married. On my passport, I still have my maiden name but my ss and driver's license have my husband's last name. I have to travel in three weeks so I don’t have time to change it so if my plane tickets match my passport, will have any issues?

Answer: You should not have issues as long as your tickets match the name printed in your passport.

New passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I got approved on my N-400 and I change my middle name to my first name. Can I go ahead and apply for my new passport with my previous state ID without the new name because now DMV doesn't issue an ID on the spot but mail-in for 2 weeks.

Answer: The name you enter on the application form must be supported by the ID you present with it. You risk getting your passport application denied if you apply with names not matching.

Name change
by: Anonymous

Question: I have a passport that will not expire until 2025. I have the opportunity to work out of the country in the next two weeks. The name on the passport is my hyphenated maiden-married name. I am now divorced and use my maiden name. I have changed my name on all other legal documents back to my maiden name. Can I still use the passport since I do not have time to complete a name change?

Answer: Yes, you may still use the passport. Just make sure to book tickets in the name that appears in it to avoid issues with TSA.

Name changed, Expired Passport
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi I recently got married and changed my last name to my husband's on the marriage certificate but have not updated any other legal documents. My passport (with my maiden name) has expired and I need to renew it. Can I renew using my maiden name? Thanks!

Answer: You may renew in your maiden name but you can actually renew in your married name as well. You do not need to wait to change your name on your other IDs before changing the name on your passport.

Get Renewal Fast

Passport does not match my driver’s license
by: Anonymous

Question: I got married two years ago and legally changed my name on my SS and driver's license. I never updated my passport. I have a trip to Mexico in 3 weeks so I don’t have time to update it before the trip. Is it legal to use my passport in my previous name?

Answer: Yes, it is legal. Just make sure your tickets are booked in your previous name to avoid issues with TSA. Have a safe trip!

by: Anonymous

Question: I have an expired passport that I want to update but I have been married for many years. When I go to get a new passport will they be able to switch to my married name? What documents if any would I need?

Answer: Yes, you may have your married name on your passport. If it has been less than 5 years since it expired, you may apply for a renewal with name change by mail. You need to mail the following to the address on the form:

1. Form DS-82
2. Current passport
3. Original or certified copy of your marriage certificate
4. One new passport photo
5. Payment for fees

If the passport has been expired for more than 5 years, you need to submit a new application in person. Please prepare the following:

1. Form DS-11 (complete with married name, do not sign yet)
2. Evidence of U.S. citizenship
3. Proof of identity bearing your married name
4. One new passport photo
5. Payment for fees

You need to apply in person at an acceptance facility where you will take the oath and sign the application in the presence of a passport agent. Appointments are required.

Routine processing currently takes 10 to 12 weeks for both new applications and renewals. If you pay the extra $60 for expedited service, processing will be down to 4 to 6 weeks.

Please let you know if you have more questions. If you wish to speak to customer service representative, you may call passport services at 1-877-487-2778.

Name changed on SS but not on driver's license or passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I recently got married and changed my name on my SS card but not on my driver's license and passport yet because I am still waiting for the new SS card. I won't have time to change my ID and passport in time as I need to travel next month. Will it be a problem if I still use my current passport? I booked everything with my maiden name by the way. Thanks!

Answer: You should not have any issues as long as your tickets are booked in the name that appears in your passport. Have a safe trip!

Changed Last name, Maiden now Middle
by: Anonymous

Question: I got married a few years ago changing my maiden name to a second middle name taking my husband's last name. On my driver's license it has 4 names and my passport has my 3 maiden names. Will I be able to travel without updating the last name on my passport?

Answer: You may travel with your current passport without issue as long as you book tickets in the name that appears in it.

by: Anonymous

Question: I got a new passport with my maiden name prior to our honeymoon trip. Now my driver's license is updated to my married name - but my social security card is still my maiden name. Can I go on a Caribbean cruise and still use my passport with my maiden name?

Answer: Yes, you can. Just make sure to make reservations in the name that appears in your passport to avoid issues.

Maiden name
by: Anonymous

Question: I’m legally married but never changed my last name, all legal documents are under my maiden name. Can I apply for a passport with my maiden name?

Answer: Yes, you can. The passport will be issued in the name you enter in the application as long as it is supported by your proof of identity and/or evidence of U.S. citizenship.

Applying for a passport under maiden name
by: Anonymous

Question: I’ve been legally married for a few years now, I have all my legal documents under my married name (I never changed it). Can I apply for my passport under my maiden name? I’ve never used my husbands last name.

Answer: If you mean you have all your legal documents under your maiden name, you may apply for your passport in that name. As long as the name you placed in your application is supported by your proof of identity (driver's license), there shouldn't be any problems.

name change
by: Anonymous

Question: I recently changed my passport back to my maiden name but am still married. My visa has my married and maiden name will this pose a problem with immigration?

Answer: The answer depends on the immigration rules of the country you are traveling to. Please contact the embassy of your destination country for information.

Name difference
by: Anonymous

Question: I am not exactly sure if I can use my passport to travel? It still has my maiden name, but my name has legally been changed to my married name. Not sure if I buy a ticket under my married name or my maiden name as my passport?

Answer: If your current passport is still valid and meets the entry requirements of your destination, you may continue to use it. Just make sure you book tickets in your maiden name to ensure you have no issues with TSA.

Do I have to change my name?
by: Anonymous

Question: I need to renew my passport. I got married (am getting divorced and changing name back). I legally changed my name but did not change it on my passport. I want to renew it with my maiden name on it as it is now. My question is can I just keep the same name on my passport if I never applied for a name change on it before and will be reverting back to my maiden name soon? Or do I have to wait for my divorce and legally change my name back and provide proof of said name change?

Answer: You can renew your passport now. There will be no need to wait for your divorce to be finalized since the name on your passport hasn't been changed to your married name.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.