Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

What is quickest way to get passport with name change?

by Thomas
(Cincinnati, Ohio)

Question: Hi, I need advice. My previous passport was issued more than 15 years ago and it has already expired.

I legally changed my last name a year after it was issued but I haven't used my passport since. I have court documents to verify the name change. I also have a valid Ohio driver's license, SS card, my old passport in good condition, New Jersey birth cert., etc.

What's my quickest course to getting a valid passport? Mail? In-person, and if so, where?

Answer: Since your most recent passport was issued more than 15 years ago, you must appear in person in order to apply for a new passport.

Besides evidence of United States citizenship, proof of identity, a photocopy of the identification document and one recent passport photo, you also need to submit evidence of the name change. If your expired passport is not damaged, it can be used for both evidence of citizenship and identification.

There are only two ways to get a new passport in 2 weeks or less.

One, you can apply for expedited service at a regional passport agency. Those closest to Cincinnati are the Detroit and Chicago agencies.

Two, you can apply through a registered passport expediting service. In this case, you only need to appear at a passport office in Cincinnati.

After the passport agent has adjudicated the application and placed it in a sealed envelope, you will mail the packet to the expediting service. Be sure to include a third party authorization letter in the sealed envelope. A second one should be sent with the sealed envelope.

The expediter can have the application processed and returnd to you as quickly as 24-48 hours in most circumstances. Click the link below for more information.

Return to Passport Expediting FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service!.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.