Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Renewal of 18 Year Old's Passport

by Shannon

Question: Married parents and 18-year-old child's passports all expired Jan of this year. Do both parents need to accompany the child to the USPS passport office to renew using the DS-11 form?

Can both parents AND child's renewal applications be mailed together?

Answer: No, parents are not required to appear with a child age 18 and over.

No, you cannot mail your applications together. The reason is that your child must apply for a new passport using Form DS-11. This requires a personal appearance at an acceptance facility where an agent will administer an oath and witness the signing of the completed form.

The application and all supporting documentation will be placed in an envelope and sealed by the agent. For complete instructions, click the link below.

Apply for New Passport

You can apply for renewals using Form DS-82. There is no need to appear before an acceptance agent. More than one renewal application may be sent in the same envelope. However, they will not remain together and passports will be sent back separately.

For complete instructions, click the link below.

Apply to Renew Passports

For a list of passport application acceptance facilities near you, click the link below.

Tennessee Passport Offices

Comments for Renewal of 18 Year Old's Passport

Click here to add your own comments

by: JoanAnonymous

Question: My son is 18, has severe autism and impaired language. Can parents assist him to file DS-11 without conservatorship from court?

Answer: Conservatorship is always recommended. However, there may be cases when a signed and notarized medical abstract/certificate from your son's attending physician will suffice. Please contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 for more information.

by: Anonymous

Question: Am I able to get a passport without my parents' birth certificates or marriage certificate? I am 18 years old, I really need to know this thank you.

Answer: Parent's birth certificate and marriage certificates are not requirements for a passport application. As an adult, you need to submit the following in person at a passport application acceptance facility:

1. Form DS-11 (completed but not signed)
2. Original or certified copy of your long form birth certificate
3. Government-issued ID plus a photocopy
4. One passport photo taken in the last 6 months
5. Payment for fees

Most acceptance facilities require an appointment. Routine service takes 10 to 12 weeks to complete. If you pay for expedited service, processing takes 4 to 6 weeks.

Set an Appointment

by: Sharlene

Question: My child just turned 18 and has an expired passport. Can she renew via mail or does she need to make an appointment for renewal?

Answer: A passport issued when one was a minor cannot be renewed. Your child now needs to apply in person for her first adult passport. Appointments are required.

Please prepare the following:

1. Form DS-11
2. Original or certified copy of evidence of U.S. citizenship plus photocopy
3. Proof of identity plus photocopy
4. One passport photo
5. Payment for fees

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.