This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

I have an Official Passport and want to get a Regular Passport

by Cedric
(Oak Harbor, Washington, US)

Question: I'm in the military and currently deployed and I received my Official Passport. I want to be able to visit Canada and I can't with and Official Passport since it will not be a visit for Official Business.

I need to know what can I do to get a U.S. Passport in addition to my Official Passport. I would like to be able to travel once I get back to the States. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Answer: There are three ways you can go about getting your regular tourist passport.

1. See your PAC or S1 shop, they should be able to help you process your application.

2. Visit the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general. Note, it is often necessary to make an appointment.

List of U.S. Embassies and Consulates

3. Wait until you return to the United States and apply at a local passport office to get your passport in as little as 2-3 weeks or at a regional passport agency to get your passport the same day.

Comments for I have an Official Passport and want to get a Regular Passport

Click here to add your own comments

Soldier stranded at Airpot in Dubai
by: James Cambell

Question: I'm a soldier and my international passport has expired. I'm stranded in Dubai with no means of getting a new card because my bank card doesn't work there. I need help with this situation.

Answer: Hi, James. You may seek assistance from the U.S. Consulate in Dubai.

Civilian passport
by: Joe

Question: I am currently in the military and have a current official (red) passport. I want to apply for a civilian (blue) passport. I will not be sending in my official passport because I need it for work. Do I check yes on question #21 and fill in the information about my official passport on form DS-11?

Answer: Yes, you need to fill in details regarding your military passport in Form DS-11.

Can I use my goverment passport as proof of citizenship?
by: Anonymous

Question: Can I use my government passport (Red booklet) as my form of verifying my citizenship and identity?

My post office is telling me they won't accept it because it's not a blue cover passport. I've tried to explain to them and even showed them a print out stating that a undamaged U.S. passport (even if expired) can be used instead of a certified copy of a birth certificate. Am I correct that I am able to submit my government passport instead of a birth certificate?

Answer: You should be able to use your government passport as evidence of U.S. citizenship.

Used an official passport in the past
by: Anonymous

Question: My official passport was turned in to the government back in the 80's after my official travel was completed. Do I now apply for a renewal or a new one.

Answer: You need to apply for a new passport.

Birth certificate and Military Passport
by: Juan

Question: If a birth certificate is longer than 12 inches and says copying is unlawful. What are some options?

Can an expired military passport be used as proof of citizenship? If so will it be returned?

Answer: Yes, you may use the expired military passport as citizenship evidence.

Expired Official passport
by: Buzz

Question: I have an official passport that has expired and I want to get a civilian passport. Is the process different than if I had never had a passport?

Answer: Hi, Buzz. You have two ways to obtain a civilian passport using your official passport.

1. You can apply for a renewal using Form DS-82 and submit the official passport. You will need to relinquish the official passport -- it will not be returned to you.

2. You can apply for a new passport in person and submit Form DS-11 and use the official passport as evidence of U.S. citizenship. The official passport will be returned to you once the process is completed.

Line 21 DS-11
by: Former Military Brat

Question: I have two passports: a brown one and blue one. The blue was was issued before the brown one but expired at a later date. On line 21 of form DS-11, which passport information should I use? Which passport should I mail back with form DS-11?

Answer: Please use your civilian (blue passport) for the renewal. You also need to fill in Line 21 with information tied to the blue passport.

Official Passports and Civilian Passports
by: Anonymous

Question: I currently have an Official Passport. I am wanting/needing to apply for a civilian passport. Does the Civilian Passport application form or process require passport number or any other information from my Official Passport?

Answer: Question #21 of Form DS-11 pertains to U.S. passports you have applied for or been issued in the past. Please answer those questions with details from your official passport.

Ex Military Spouse
by: Julie

Question: I was issued a blue passport through the military to accompany my husband overseas. However, we had to surrender those passports upon returning from the overseas assignment. I am trying to find out what I need to do. Would I be applying for a new passport or renewing? I do not have the old one to submit with my application but they were issued in 2012 so that is less that 15 years ago.

Please inform! Thank you!

Answer: You need to apply for a new passport in person at an acceptance facility.

Child Passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I have a step-child with me overseas and I want to apply for a tourist passport for the child, could I use the no-fee passport as identification if I do not have my step-child's birth certificate? Will the biological father have to sign off again if he's already signed off for child's no fee passport?

Answer: The no-fee passport may be used as evidence of U.S. citizenship. Please contact the embassy of the country you are currently in regarding the need for the biological father to consent to the issuance of a tourist passport.

Need to keep Official passport
by: Caroline

Question: My husband has an official passport that is not expired. I'm not comfortable putting it in the mail and not getting it back. Can he just apply in person for a regular passport?

Answer: Yes, you husband can apply for a regular civilian passport in person. He will need the following:

1. Form DS-11
2. Evidence of U.S. citizenship
3. Proof of identity
4. Photocopy of ID
5. New passport photo
6. Payment for fees

He needs to appear in person at a nearby acceptance facility.

Military passport conversion to civilian?
by: Anonymous

Question: I got a military passport in 1996, obviously it's expired now. I have read that I cannot get a passport for travel due to back child support. Is it worth applying for a renewal/conversion to a blue passport? Or would it likely be denied for the same reason?

Answer: In order to be issued a passport, you need to pay your child support arrears in full. The same rule applies even if you had a military passport in the past.

Official passport photo and regular passport photo
by: Anonymous

Question: My children and I just received our official passports but are looking to get regular passports so we can travel outside the country we got the official passport for. Can we submit the same passport photo we used for the official passport for the regular passport application?

Answer: Yes, you may use the same photo.

by: Sandra

Question: I had the brown Official, no fee passport 12 years ago while in the military. I am now applying for a tourist passport for the first time. Do I answer yes on the Have you ever been issued a Passport question.

Answer: Yes, please indicate that you have been issued a passport before.

by: Melissa

Question: My kids have their no fee passports and we recently applied for their tourist passports but I received a letter from the processing office saying that they noticed they applied for a passport in 2015 and I should send those to them to finish their application. When I called customer service they said they don't ever ask for military passports back and now I'm just waiting for the processing office to call me and explain what I need to do.

Answer: That is correct. It should not have been necessary to send the no fee passports. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Had Brown Passport
by: Reginald

Question: Hi I have never had a Blue Passport, but I was issued a Brown Official Government Passport for a deployment when I was on active duty 9 years ago. I have since retired from active service and want to obtain a Blue passport. Since I've had the Brown Official Passport will the process be easier to obtain a Blue one? Or will I have to complete the paperwork as if I never had a passport before?

Answer: If your passport was issued less than 15 years ago, you can apply for a passport by mail. Note, however, that your official passport will not be returned to you.

If your passport was issued more than 15 years ago or you want to keep it, you must apply in person for a new passport at an application acceptance facility and present an original or certified copy of your birth certificate as evidence of U.S. citizenship.

Apply for tourist passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I also only have an official passport, and want to get a tourist one. Is my official passport sufficient as documentation for confirming my citizenship? I am having a copy of my birth certificate mailed to me, and don't know how long it will take.

Answer: If you submit your official passport, it will not be returned to you. If you want to keep it, you need to apply for a new passport at an application acceptance facility and submit your birth certificate as evidence of U.S. citizenship.

Official Passport Destroyed, Still Have Blue Passport...
by: Dave

Question: Hi, my most recent passport was an official passport, but I turned it in for destruction when I left the military... Can I still use my previous blue (unofficial) passport for renewal? (it meets all of the other criteria...)

Answer: As long as the passport meets the requirements, you can apply for a renewal by mail.

Same Situation
by: Tom

I have the same situation, I have a government passport and I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan right now, when i get back to the States what am I going to need to get my regular passport? You said if I go to a Regional Issuance office I can get it in one day? Is it because I already have the Government passport?

Thank you very much for the help!



Same day passports are only issued to American citizens who can present evidence of the need to travel urgently. If your flight is more than two weeks away, you cannot apply at a regional agency.

For a regular tourist passport, you must apply in person and submit form DS-11 and all supporting documents. For a complete list, click the link below.

US Passport Requirements


Do you normally need anything besides your official passport?
by: Anonymous

Are there additional requirements besides bringing your official passport?


Requirements for obtaining a new passport include the completed but unsigned form DS-11, evidence of U.S. citizenship, proof of identity, photocopy of ID, two passport photos and payment of fees.


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.