Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

How do I expedite a passport name change within 4 weeks?

by Heather
(Davis, CA, USA)

Question: I recently got married and am going on my honeymoon to Europe on September 1st. How do I get the name changed on my passport and ensure that I get it back in time for my trip?

Answer: You can request expedited service by mail and get the name changed in your passport within 2-3 weeks. This is an estimated time. It sometimes takes less time while on other occasions it can take longer. More than likely you will get the passport in less than three weeks.

All you need to do is send the completed form, supporting documents and payment to the address on the application form. Be sure to write "expedite" on the outside of the envelope.

If your current passport was issued less than a year ago, you need to send form DS-5504 and evidence of the name change. You only need to send a passport photo if your current passport was issued more than 90 days ago. There is no fee to change the name but you will need to send a payment of $60 for the expedited service.

If your current passport was issued more than a year ago, you must apply for a renewal. The application to use is form DS-82. You must include evidence of the legal name change, one photo and payment. The application fee is $110. Expedited service is $60.

You should have no problem getting the name changed in your passport in time for your trip to Europe. However, if you are concerned as to whether the request for a name change will be processed in time or not, you can get a professional passport expediter to submit the application for you. The fee is only $99 to get the passport name change expedited in 10-12 business days. For more information, click the link below.

Passport Name Change through Expediter

Return to Passport Expediting FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service!.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.