Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

How do I change back to maiden name on passport?

by DD
(Monroe, LA. )

Question: I divorced 14 years ago and I want to change my name back to my maiden name. I do not have a court order. What do I need to do to change the name on my passport?

Answer: An applicant whose maiden surname is restored after a divorce may have the passport written in that surname provided he/she submits the divorce decree or court order so specifying (original or certified copy).

A divorced applicant who does not have a divorce decree or court order that cites the restoration of the maiden name but who uses a maiden surname exclusively may have the passport written in that surname provided he/she submits:

* Three pieces of acceptable identification as listed above;

* Death or Divorce Certificate;

* Evidence of claim to the former name: i.e. marriage certificate, birth certificate, or expired U.S. passport in that name.

To determine which application form you need to complete, click the link below.

Passport Name Change

Comments for How do I change back to maiden name on passport?

Click here to add your own comments

I need to Revert to my Maiden Name
by: T. Garcia

Question: I married in Mexico & I changed my passport to my Married name but I need to change it back to my maiden name for use at INM in Mexico.

We are still married. Is this possible and what is needed to do so? The only picture ID I have is my passport. I have my birth certificate and my marriage certificate.

Answer: It is possible to revert to your maiden name on your passport. Since you are still married and cannot provide proof of legal name change, you need to submit a new application as if it's your first time to apply.

The challenge may be with your identification documents since you mentioned that your only photo ID is your passport. You need to provide sufficient identification documents bearing your maiden name.

Please submit the following in person at an acceptance facility:

1. Form DS-11
2. Original or certified copy of your birth certificate
3. Government-issued ID bearing your maiden name
4. One new passport photo
5. Payment for fees

Change back to maiden name on passport?
by: Jessica

Question: My passport expired and I would like to change my last name to my maiden name.
The issue I am having is that I was married in Mexico and my documents are in Spanish. Do I need to translate the documents in order to change my maiden name?

Answer: Hi, Jessica. If your passport is in your married name and you want to change it back to your maiden name, you need to submit a divorce decree as proof of legal name change. Documents in a foreign language need to be translated to English by a certified translator. This needs to be submitted with your requirements for renewal with name change:

1. Form DS-82
2. Current passport
3. Original divorce decree
4. One new passport photo
5. Payment for fees

If you cannot provide proof of legal name change, you may submit a new application in person. Please prepare the following:

1. Form DS-11
2. Evidence of U.S. citizenship
3. Proof of identity bearing maiden name
4. One new passport photo
5. Payment for fees

Standard service may take up to 18 weeks to complete. If you request expedited service, processing will take up to 12 weeks. We strongly recommend waiting until your new passport arrives before making any final travel arrangements.

Name change on passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I have a valid US passport which recently was renewed. I'm still married but want to change my name back to my maiden name. I am a naturalized US Citizen, however my Citizenship document has my last name as my first husband's last name who I am divorced from for some time.

I can send my certified birth certificate with my Maiden name on it but other than that nothing else has my maiden name on it. Is this possible?

Answer: It may be a challenge since you do not have any other documents bearing the name you want on your new passport. But it is also not impossible. Please contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 to find out what you need to submit to get this done.

Change of last name
by: Anonymous

Question: I'm not divorced but I want to change my last name back from my husbands name back to my maiden name on my passport. What documents do I need to provide for that?

Answer: If you do not have official name change documents, you may apply for a new passport instead of a passport renewal. The passport will be issued in the name you enter in the form as long as it is supported by either your evidence of U.S. citizenship or proof of identity.

I cannot find my divorce decree
by: Anonymous

Question: Can I submit anything else in place of a divorce decree to revert back to my maiden name while renewing an expired passport? If I send in my original birth certificate, how quickly do I get it back? Seems scary to send off originals.

Thank you!

Answer: If you cannot provide proof of the name change, you may apply for a new passport instead of a renewal.

You will then need to submit your birth certificate (original or certified copy) with the rest of the requirements. It will be returned to you once the process is completed. Routine processing takes 4 to 6 weeks while expedited service takes 2 to 3 weeks.

Documents other than divorce decree
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi. My current passport has my married name on it and expires at the end of this year, I want to go back to my maiden name but my divorce decree does not state anything specifically about a name change. I recently changed back to my original (maiden) name this year with social security and on my drivers license so I have these documents with my maiden name along with my certified birth certificate and even my certified marriage certificate, all of these documents have my original name on them. Will all of these documents, even though my divorce decree has no mention of my name change, be enough to change it on my passport? Please advise on exactly what is needed to accomplish this. Thanks.

Answer: Your divorce decree should suffice as proof of legal name change. While the name change may not be specified in the decree, it is generally assumed that you will revert to your maiden name or previous after a divorce. You may include a statement explaining the situation with your application.

If passport services will need additional documentation, they will contact you with instructions. You may also call customer service at 1-877-487-2778 for advice.

Passport expired, name change
by: Anonymous

Question: It will be perfect if I can send birth certificate and drivers license. However, the form asked if I have ever been issued a US passport and requires the book number etc. The only other option to select is if I have filed a "lost passport" form (this is in the online wizard). How can I omit the expired passport?
Thank you!

Answer: You cannot 'omit' the old passport as you need to fill out the passport application form with true and correct information. Since you have been issued a passport in the past, you must indicate such in the application and provide the needed information, if available. Some applicants actually find it less complicated to complete the form by hand rather than use the online wizard.

If the passport has been expired for more than 5 years, you do not need to submit it with the application. Instead, you can apply for a new passport altogether and submit the following:

1. Form DS-11
2. Evidence of U.S. citizenship (your birth certificate)
3. Proof of identity (driver's license)
4. Photocopy of ID
5. New passport photo
6. Payment for fees

You need to apply in person at a nearby acceptance facility. Routine service takes 6 to 8 weeks to complete. If you need to get them sooner, you need to pay for expedited service to get the passport in 2 to 3 weeks.

Reverting to maiden name after 2 divorces
by: Jessica

Question: My passport expires in 3 weeks. It's still under my first married name. I've been divorced, remarried and divorced again since it was issued and have reverted to my maiden name. Do I need to submit both divorce decrees and the second marriage license in order to change it back to my maiden name or is there a less cumbersome way to file for it?

Answer: You will only need to submit the divorce decree from your first marriage to document legal name change.

Passport expired, name change since then
by: Anonymous

Question: I need to renew my passport; it actually expired over 15 years ago. I will still mail the old passport in, since it seems to be needed. Unfortunately, the passport was in a name from a previous marriage. I have gone back to my maiden name since then. If I mail in my birth certificate and license, which are both my maiden name, will that suffice?

Answer: Yes, your birth certificate and driver's license will suffice as evidence of U.S. citizenship and proof of identity, respectively. You need to submit the original or a certified copy of your birth certificate.

There will be no need to submit your expired passport since you will be applying for a new passport using Form DS-11. Please submit all the requirements in person at a nearby application acceptance facility.

by: Lucy

Question: Divorced and social security already changed to maiden name and now want to change passport. How do I do it?

Answer: Mail your passport, passport photo and divorce decree to the address on the application form. If your passport was issued less than 12 months ago, use Form Ds-5504. If your passport was issued more than 12 months ago, use Form DS-82 and pay the applicable fee.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 8 and 11 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 5 to 7 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering extremely limited in-person services if you need to travel internationally in the next 72 hours. Those with qualified life-or-death emergencies are prioritized.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 business days).

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 AM to 5PM, call ET 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, 202-647-4000

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!