Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

I need a passport in a week. What steps should I take?

by Virginia
(Boca Raton, FL USA)

Question: I just became an American citizen and live in Boca Raton in south Florida. Do I have to go in person? Where is the passport application center in south Florida? What are my fees?

Answer: There are two ways to get a United States passport in one week. One way is to personally visit a regional passport agency. To do this, you first need to set up an appointment by calling 1-877-487-2778. For more information, click the link below.

Miami Passport Agency

If you cannot get an appointment in time for your trip or you are unable to travel to Miami, you can apply through a professional expediting service. For more information, click the link below.

Apply to Expedite Passport

The fees for getting a new passport expedited are as follows.

Application Fee: $110
Execution Fee: $35
Expedited Service Fee: $60

If you go through a professional expediter, there will be an additional fee for this service.

For a list of documents you need to submit, click the link below.

How to Get a New Passport

Return to Passport Expediting FAQ.

Is it possible to get a passport within a week of when I apply.

by Daniel
(Los Angeles, Ca.)

Question: I am waiting on my birth certificate as of 8/2 and need to have my passport by 8/12 in order to pay my ticket off in full to Israel for trip on 10/11.

What are my options for getting my passport as quickly as possible? Is there a certain Passport Office I should go to in Los Angeles or will the post office do a rush delivery?

Answer: In order to obtain your passport in less than a week, you need to submit the application at the Los Angeles Passport Agency.

Applying for expedited service at a passport application acceptance facility (post office) would require 2-3 weeks to get your travel document.

The State Department "requires" applicants to schedule an appointment but there may not be an opening within such a short time frame. In this case, you have a couple of options.

One, you can visit the regional agency without an appointment. You will more than likely be allowed to submit the application although we cannot guarantee this.

Two, you can get a registered passport expediting service to submit the application for you. Since expediters visit regional agencies on a daily basis, they can obtain passports for clients as quickly as the same day.

For more information, click the appropriate links below.

Get fast, reliable passport courier service.

Return to Passport Expediting FAQ.

Can I get a passport to travel out of the country in 6 days?

by Chrystyna
(Boston, MA)

Question: I got a passport 20 years ago and used it once. I never needed to renew it. I have to travel to Tunisia in 6 days; what forms do I need to fill out?

I have already made an appointment to get an emergency passport. Will this be possible? I have a flight booked as well. Help!

Answer: A passport that was issued more than 20 years ago, cannot be "renewed". You need to apply for a new passport by submitting application Form DS-11 in person.

Note, you can complete the form before arriving for your appointment but should NOT sign it until requested to do so by the passport agent.

Along with the application form, required documents include evidence of U.S. citizenship (e.g., certified birth certificate), proof of identity (e.g., valid driver's license), a photocopy of your identification and one passport photo taken in the last 6 months.

The fees you will have to pay for this are as follows.

Application fee: $110
Execution fee: $35
Expedited service fee: $60

Note, for an extra $30 you can apply for a passport card at the same time. The card allows U.S. citizens to enter and exit Canada, Mexico, Caribbean Islands and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.

If all your documents are accepted, you should receive your passport the same day that you apply. For more information, click the link below.

How to Get a New Passport Quickly

Return to Passport Expediting FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.