This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Can I use my passport if I owe more than $5000 in child support?

by Rudolph
(Miami, Fl USA)

Question: If you owe more than $5000 in child support and you try to travel internationally round trip on your existing, valid passport, will you be denied travel? What will happen?

Answer: First of all, the amount for which a person can be denied a passport has been changed to $2500.

You should only have a problem with your current, valid passport if it has been revoked. If that had occurred, you would have received notice of the fact.

According to federal law, "Passport revocation may be effected when the person obtained the passport fraudulently, when the passport was issued in error, when the person’s certificate of naturalization was canceled by a federal court, or when the person would not be entitled to a new passport under 22 CFR 51.70 (a) or (b)."

It goes on to say, "The physical revocation of a passport is often difficult, and an apparently valid passport can be used for travel until officially taken by an arresting officer or by a court."

Seriously problems can arise if your passport is lost or stolen while traveling abroad and need to obtain another in order to return to the United States.

Comments for Can I use my passport if I owe more than $5000 in child support?

Click here to add your own comments

passport for child support
by: Anonymous

Question: What does back child support have to do with your passport? For some people, a passport is their proof of citizenship, or birth certificate that they have to have for jobs or entrying airbases, or even traveling overseas to see their families. By blocking or refusing people to obtain a passport, it is like taking away your citizenship. Don't you agree?

Answer: The Passport Denial Program, which is part of the Federal Offset Program, is designed to help states enforce delinquent child support obligations. Under the program, noncustodial parents certified by a state as having arrearages exceeding $2,500 are submitted by the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE) to the Department of State (DoS), which denies them U.S. passports upon application or the use of a passport service.

Denial of a passport does not change citizenship status. There are millions of Americans who do not have passports. Those who do not possess a passport can use a birth certificate to prove their U.S. citizenship.

Individuals who want to obtain passports but owe $2500 or more in child support arrears need only pay the arrears in order to have their names removed from the Passport Denial Program.

Passport restriction for owing child support
by: Anonymous

Question: My fiance owes child support. His passport is restricted though payment plan has been made by him. What can he do to enable him travel abroad because of his new relationship?

Answer: If your fiancé's passport has been restricted due to child support arrears, he needs to contact the State Child Support Agency Passport Denial Program for the state to which he owes the arrears for information about how to get the restrictions removed.

by: Anonymous

Question: Can I reenter the United States if my passport has been revoked? I owe $3000.

Answer: A passport is not automatically revoked because the bearer owes $2500 or more in child support arrears. Unless you have received a letter informing you that the passport was revoked, it is still valid until the date of expiration.

If your passport has expired, you will not be able to renew it until you pay the arrears in full. If that is the case, you might be able to get an emergency, limited-validity passport to return to the United States. Please contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general for assistance.

Can I use my passport if I owe child support
by: Antoine

Question: I'm traveling to Mexico soon and want to know if I can use my passport. I owe over $5000 in child support but have been making payments every week since I got my job back in April 2015.

Answer: Your passport is valid until the date of expiration unless you have received notice that is was revoked which does not occur often. The problem will be when you need to renew your passport. If you owe more than $2500 at that time, your new passport will be denied.

Is my passport vaild to travel?
by: Anonymous

Question: I leave to go out the country in 2 days. Can I use my passport if I owe $1500? It's never reached $2500. Please let me know?

Answer: Only those who owe $2500 or more in child support arrears are placed on the passport denial list. For more information, contact the Office of Child Support Enforcement in your state for more information.

Is my passport vaild?
by: Anonymous

Question: If I owe less than $2500, is my passport still valid?

Answer: Your passport is valid until the date of expiration whether you owe less or more than $2500. The amount you owe only affects your ability to obtain a new passport or renew a previously-issued passport.

If the amount you owe reaches $2500, you will be placed on the passport denial list and will not be able to renew your passport until the arrears are paid in full.

If you owed more than $2500 but have now reduced that amount to below $2500, you may already be listed on the passport denial list. Again, this will only affect your ability to renew your passport.

Stepson's passport
by: Lynn

Question: My stepson has a passport. He currently pays child support payments that are set up through the state. Can he still travel internationally? He does owe $5000.00 and has been making monthly payments for the past 2 years. We are taking the family on vacation in December to Mexico and want to make sure he can go with us before we book the trip.

Answer: Your son's passport is valid for international travel until it expires or is revoked. He will not be able to renew his passport until arrears are paid in full.

past due child support holding current passport
by: Anonymous

Question: Can my ex leave the country with a current passport? He owes over $13,000 in back child support but he holds a passport from before our divorce.

Answer: Unless his passport has been revoked or restricted by the Department of State, he can use his valid passport to travel abroad. Contact the Office of Child Support Enforcement if you would like to find out about the possibility of having his passport revoked or restricted.

Cashless Mom
by: Cashless Mom

Question My son's father owes $9,000 in child support and was successful in obtaining a passport. He is now overseas. What can be done now to revoke his passport?

Answer: Contact the National Passport Information Center about this issue by calling 1-877-487-2778.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports and Child Support Issues.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.