Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Why is the passport agency asking me for more documents?

by Kimberly
(Los Angeles)

Question: I’m going to write down what the letter says.

“Thank you for your recent passport application. We need help in providing the necessary evidence of United States citizenship or nationality. The evidence you submitted is not acceptable for passport purposes for the reason(s) stated below.

The birth was recorded more than one year after the birth occurred. The certificate does not show what evidence was used to create the record or the evidence is insufficient for passport purposes.”

If I send them at least 3 documents, will I be able to still get my passport? I’m planning to send them my baptism certificate, copy of my immunization record (I just have a copy – Is that fine?) and the birth affidavit.

I’m not able to contact my biological parents because they abandoned my sister and I when we were little.

Well, I hope these documents help me because I really need my passport. If they do accept it do you know how long more I am going to wait?

Answer: If you cannot provide primary proof of citizenship such as a previously-issued passport or a certified birth certificate, you must submit secondary evidence.

A Delayed Birth Certificate (filed more than one year after birth) is only acceptable if it 1) lists the documentation used to create it (preferably early public records) and 2) It is signed by the birth attendant or lists an affidavit signed by the parents.

Since the birth certificate you submitted does not meet these requirements, you must submit other evidence.

One option is to submit a combination of early public records as evidence of your U.S. citizenship. Early public records must be submitted together with a Letter of No Record (see below).

Early public records should show your name, date of birth, place of birth, and preferably be
created within the first five years of your life. Examples of early public records are:

* Baptismal certificate
* Hospital birth certificate
* Census record
* Early school record
* Family bible record
* Doctor's record of post-natal care

Early Public Records are not acceptable when presented alone. A Letter of No Record must be submitted together with Early Public Records.

You must present a state-issued Letter of No Record showing:

* Your name
* Your date of birth
* The years for which a birth record was searched
* Acknowledgment that no birth certificate was found on file

Another option is to submit Form DS-10: Birth Affidavit as additional evidence of your U.S. citizenship. You must also submit Early Public Records when submitting Form DS-10: Birth Affidavit. The birth affidavit:

* Must be notarized
* Must be submitted in person with Form DS-11
* Must be submitted together with early public records
* Must be completed by an affiant who has personal knowledge of birth in the U.S.
* Must state briefly how the affiant's knowledge was acquired
* Should be completed by an older blood relative

NOTE: If no older blood relative is available, the affiant may be the attending physician or any other person who has personal knowledge of the birth.

Evidence for citizenship must be original documents or certified copies. Photocopies are not accepted. The documents will be returned to you.

It is recommended that you mail your passport application and any personal documents using a traceable delivery method.

Additionally, in order to protect the contents of your mailing from the elements throughout the delivery process, you are encouraged to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a secure means of packaging, such as a Tyvek envelope.

Regular processing takes 4-6 weeks. It can take longer in some cases.

Comments for Why is the passport agency asking me for more documents?

Click here to add your own comments

5 More Documents 5 years or older
by: Anonymous

Question: I applied for my passport in February before the pandemic and received a letter in the mail asking for more information. I don’t have 5 documents 5 years or older with the name I want the passport in. My name was hyphenated until 2 years ago, what can I send along with what I have?

Answer: You have to send any and all verifiable documents bearing the name you entered in the application form.

Early Public Records
by: Anonymous

Question: I received a letter stating that I need to send in additional documents due to the delayed birth certificate I sent in being filed more than a year after birth. The hospital where I was born closed a year after I was born. However I do have a hospital certificate that is damaged and torn in half. I also have a Certificate of Live Birth. Are these documents acceptable? I’m having a hard time obtaining medical, school, and census records and I’ve never been baptized. Are there any other options for me?

Answer: Please call passport services at 1-877-487-2778 to discuss your options.

Additional Documents
by: Anonymous

Question: Recently, I applied for a passport. The name on my birth certificate doesn't match the name I've been using since my mother enrolled me in school. She and my dad got married after I was born so she started using his last name on my documents without officially changing my name. I submitted my birth certificate, social security card (name I've used since Kindergarten), driver's license (name I've used since Kindergarten). It was suggested that I submit a letter indicating that I've used this name since I can remember. I still got an email requesting (3) additional original or certified copies of documents. No documents are certified unless its birth, death, or marriage. Will my original documents be returned to me? I don't know what else I can provide.

Answer: Please call customer service at 1-877-487-2778 to find out which documents they require. The documents will be returned once processing is completed.

Early Birth Records
by: Anonymous

Question: I applied for a passport and I was asked to bring my parents marriage certificate and I did. Later they said my birth certificate was not done within a year so I should submit early birth records with my father’s name on it and I submitted my Baptism certificate. I was told since I was 10 years old at that time, I need other early birth records with my father’s name on it. I submitted my birth hospital records and now they are still asking for early birth records. I was born in Ghana and my father brought me here in 2010. I got the documentations they requested but they asking for more and I am very frustrated regarding it. They are trying to make me do DNA testing but my father is on vacation in another country and would not be back until October. This is my second time doing this application and my first one I even submitted Birth Affidavit.

Answer: The Department of State reserves the right to request for any and all documents in support of a passport application. If they ask for a DNA test, you must comply. Please call them at 1-877-487-2778 for more information.

Additional documents
by: Anonymous

Question: I received a letter asking to submit additional documents for my passport. I submitted everything I have on Tuesday and overnight shipped it so that the passport center would have everything by Wednesday. It is now Monday and they have not yet processed the new documents. I leave on in exactly one month.

I wanted to know how long will it take for my documents to finally be processed and if it does process and I order expedited shipping , how long until it would get to me ? Would one month be enough time to receive my passport?

Answer: Please call passport services at 1-877-487-2778.

Additional information
by: Anonymous

Answer: I have submitted an application and they are requesting for more information. We have travel plans in 2 weeks. Can I submit the documents to our closest passport agency or do we need to send them in? I didn't pay to expedite. Can I still do?

Answer: Yes, you can go to the passport agency and yes, you can pay to expedite. Please schedule and appointment and bring proof of immediate international travel. If no appointment is available, you may attempt to walk-in. Just make sure to arrive before the agency opens to increase your chances of securing a slot.

Passport Issues but no reasons!!!
by: Aleta

Question: My passport application and all documents has been on hold for 14 weeks with no one able to respond to me about what is happening and why there is a hold, even though I requested multiple times to be contacted.

I sent a letter via regular mail, but no one responded. I left messages requesting information, to no avail.

Within my 14 days before departure, I finally was told a letter would be sent within 10 days explaining what I need to do to get issued a passport. However, now I leave in 7 days without that letter or a passport.

I am scheduled for an appointment at a Passport Processing Center 3 days before I depart, and one of those 3 days is Easter. Chances of me receiving said letter and fixing anything are mute!!

How do I know if I am actually getting a passport? I have been a nervous wreck these 14 weeks without anyone able to assist me.

I am not leaving for a mere vacation, I am leaving for a 42-day pilgrimage across Spain!! This is a once in a lifetime event and I had to take a special leave of absence, and my son already has his passport!! I cry every day!

I started planning in September, got all permissions from my company and paid for airline tickets for my son and myself in October, and paid for hotel, etc., by December. Went to my Clerk of Court office January 3rd to get all proper papers and scheduled my appointment for Jan. 8th. My application was received Jan. 11th, and by the end of March, I began calling almost every day only to be told it was standard processing and not to worry.

I'm worried. I leave in a few days have an appointment and have no clue why or what is happening. I was not denied a passport, just told that they could not issue one at this time and they are sending a letter that I will not be able to do anything about it because I should be on my religious pilgrimage across Spain with my son!

Can anyone provide any kind of information?? I need a passport, I don't owe the IRS or child support, am not a felon or on probation.

I am frustrated that it is now nearing the end of April and I have to drive 4 hours one way to nearest processing center, pay all fees again, plus and expedited fee, and I don't even know if I will be getting a passport because all information is so restricted, no one has any idea!!

Answer: Hi, Aleta. We are sorry to hear about your predicament. This issue is the reason why we always recommend booking a trip after a passport is acquired.

We are a private company providing valuable information regarding the processing and issuance of U.S. passports as well as overseas travel by U.S. citizens. We cannot speak in behalf of the Department of State.

That being said, it is still possible that you will be issued a passport during your appointment. After all, regional agencies process applications in 1 to 8 business days. Also, you do not need to pay the application fee, just the expedite fee.

We sincerely hope everything turns out well for you before your trip.

More documentation
by: Anxious traveler

Question: I applied for a passport via USPS but I have not received it yet because they said I was missing my official birth certificate. The one I sent wasn’t the right one. They received that and then I got another letter saying the name I am using is not the one on my documentation??? So now I’m confused. They sent my marriage license back with my husbands passport so I’m thinking that’s the reason. My question is. I now have an appointment with the agency, am I going to have to pay for another expedited passport after I already paid for one? Or are the systems connected to where they can see my that I paid through my application number and email??

Answer: You do not have to pay for expedited service again.

Definition of Certified Public Records
by: Anonymous

Question: I applied for my passport using my birth certificate and valid driver's license but because I listed my maiden name as well as my (current) married name on the application I am being asked for a copy of my State Certified Marriage Certificate. My husband passed away in 2016 and after he died I applied for his Social Security benefits only to find out that the Marriage Certificate I have had all of these years (I got married in 1980!) was never registered with the State of California, so basically I don't have one. My question is which of my personal records constitute "Certified Public Records"--can I use real estate documents, doctor's visit reports, my social security card, income tax returns or bank statements? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. This is very frustrating! Thanks for listening.

Answer: Everything you mentioned is acceptable. Any public document that bears the name you entered in your passport application will help establish your identity.

5 years or more documents
by: Anonymous

Question: I applied for a passport and was asked for more proof of identity. I sent that in. I did pay for expedited service when applying for my passport. How long will it take to receive my passport? I will be traveling in one week.

Answer: Processing will resume once the required documents are received. You should still receive your passport within the expedite time frame. Please call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 for updates.

Birth Certificate
by: Anonymous

Question: I recently applied for a first time US passport through derivation because my father became a US citizen before I turned 18 and also had custody. Born in Nigeria, all I have is a NPC certified BC that was issued more than a year after birth. This is really all I have but it's apparently not enough even though it is from the Nigerian Population Census. What do I do now?! Oh, it was the same BC used for the reception of a Green card 8 years ago.

Answer: Please contact the USCIS for assistance in getting proof of your U.S. citizenship.

More info needed
by: Anonymous

Question: I got a passport in 2007 and had no issues. Ten years later, when I needed to renew, I got a letter saying that the person that did my birth certificate is under investigation. I am the generation of babies born in the USA but because all my other siblings were in Mexico, my mother couldn't stay to raise me in my country. I spent most of my life in that country. I can't provide the documents that they are asking for. What now, where do I start? What do I do? I am so confused and nervous.

Answer: Your old U.S. passport should be enough proof of your U.S. citizenship. But since there is an issue with your birth certificate, this should be taken care of first. Please contact customer service at 1-877-487-2778 for assistance regarding the matter.

Passport ASAP!
by: Lindsey J

Question: I applied for a passport awhile back, but I received as a letter saying my birth certificate was insufficient. The CDC is currently processing and sending me my birth certificate to send to the passport agency with the letter I received. However, I'm supposed to board a cruise ship on January 7th and need my passport. Once I send the letter and my birth certificate back, how long will it take the passport agency to send me my passport? Is there any way to expedite it?

Answer: The processing of your passport will resume once passport services receives the document they require. You may be able to expedite if you set an appointment at the regional agency and submit the birth certificate in person. Expedited service at regional agencies are processed in 1 to 8 business days.

5 more documents, 5 years or older
by: Miriam

Question: I have received a letter saying I need 5 more documents 5 years or older! They're asking me for a driver's license but I don't drive. I did submit a NYS ID and I have the other 4 documents. I'm so frustrated and nervous.

Answer: If you cannot submit a primary ID, you must submit secondary proof of identity. You must submit as many as you can to satisfy the requirement.

Even then, applications with secondary IDs are considered on a case by case basis. Please call customer service at 1-877-487-2778 for further assistance.

Thank You
by: Case #337834114

Question: Don't know if this is the right forum, but I wanted to thank the representatives from the passport agency that help me solve my problem to renew my passport. I received a letter on Friday stating that I needed some extra documents; I called Monday morning, believe the agent name was Cassandra, and she as very professional and courteous. She listened to my concerns, and understood my urgency. She told me that the agent working on my case was going to contact me, and she did so the next day. Again, the agent, Damaris, same as the previous one was very professional, and I felt that a sense of someone really trying to get the issue resolved following the proper protocols. I write this because you always hear and read just the bad experiences. Kudos to the agency, when they tell you to call the number for help, don't hesitate to call, someone on the other line will provide great assistance.
Case #337834114

Answer: We are happy to hear about your excellent experience. If we can assist you in any matter, please let us know.

by: Anonymous

Question: I received a letter stating that I need to provide extra documentation such as immunization records, early school records, baptism record and birth certificate. I only have my birth certificate, and I don't believe my mom (my Dad passed away) has kept any of those records (almost 50 years old). I do have my birth certificate and my last two old expired passport. I do a lot if business travel and it will affect my job if I can't get my passport on time. Your advice and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Answer: Since you have been issued a passport in the past, you may request for a file search, the results of which (if any) may be used as evidence of U.S. citizenship. The fee is currently at $150 on top of the regular application fees.

Driver's License
by: Anonymous

Question: How long does your driver's license have to be valid for before you can use it as a primary ID? I heard 6 months.

Answer: A valid driver's license may be used as primary proof of identity. There is no need to wait for 6 months.

Proof Of Amended Birth Certificate
by: Anonymous

Question: My boyfriend and I both applied for passports at the same time. I received mine, but he got a letter stating that he needs to provide proof of why his birth certificate was amended. He was also asked to send additional proof of early birth records. We called and we are waiting on a call back from someone who could answer questions. Just wondering what you all looking at that appears amended? Also, he will not be able to get documents from when he was born except birth certificate.

Answer: Please wait for the call back from Passport Services. Or you can call 1-877-487-2778 again to speak to a customer service representative who can answer your questions.

Additional info
by: Anonymous

Question: I have an application in process. However, I received a letter requesting more documents to support the ones I've submitted. I gave my citizenship certificate and copy of my Driver's license; the only difference is that in my driver's license it doesn't have my 2nd last name and actually none of legal or secondary documents has my second last name only my social security card. I have my tickets to travel in 5 weeks i'm afraid this process could take longer.
I was told i can always drop the envelope with the documents to the mail box outside the federal passport agency.

My question is; if only my social security card has my complete name with my second last name printed but the additional documents doesn't which one do I send?and do I send copies or original?

Answer: Please send whichever document/s proves the use of the name you printed on your passport application. Send as many as you can. You may send copies instead of the original document.

Incorrect Birth Certificate
by: Anonymous

Question: I have a birth certificate that misspelled my last name and the middle name is incorrect. My fathers name is also incorrect. I submitted the BC along with my marriage certificate to establish my correct name. I received a letter for 3 more documents. I am 50 years old and have never had a problem with my birth certificate. I was able to get driver license, SSN and marriage license with no problem. What can I do? What types of documents do I need to submit? Help!

Answer: You need submit secondary proof of citizenship. These include early public records like the following:

-Baptismal certificate
-Hospital birth certificate
-Census record
-Early school record
-Family bible record
-Doctor's record of post-natal care

by: Anonymous

Question: I had my State ID, my permit and my Medicaid card for NY. I applied for a passport for myself and my daughters. My daughters got their passports but they're asking for more proof for my application. How come my IDs worked for them but not for myself?

Answer: You only needed to present and submit a photocopy of a valid photo ID to apply for a minor's passport.

However, you needed to present and submit primary proof of identity. Your State ID, permit and Medicaid card are not primary IDs. A combination of secondary IDs like your State ID plus your Temporary Driver's Permit may be accepted but this is on a case-by-case basis. You may need to submit more secondary proof of identity. Please call 1-877-487-2778 to speak to a customer service representative.

Keep asking same documentation
by: Anonymous

Question: I submitted my authenticated birth certificate when I applied my U S visa and then I recieve a letter from the passport office asking me again authenticated birth certificate . what happen to the first one I submitted its original from NSO Philippines.Called the customer service keep saying my passport is on process cannot tell me whats wrong to my first submitted original birth certificates are they are misplaced or what? Now I have to o request another birth certificate from the NSO Philippines.

Answer: We do not have information pertaining to documents submitted. Please call the National Visa Center (NVC) by calling (603) 334-0700 from 7AM to 12AM, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).

Does it apply to me?
by: Anonymous

Question: I've been with my bf for 10 years and we recently found out his grandmother has cancer and we have to fly to Mexico with his family. Does an emergency passport apply to me? Everyone has a passport but me.

Answer: If you have proof of travel and explain the situation, you should be able to get your passport within a day or two. In order to do this, you either need to apply at a regional agency or employ the services of a passport courier.

I'm confused
by: Anonymous

Question: Is there a difference between a regional agency and passport agency? Or are they the same thing? Help please.

Answer: They refer to the same thing.

Talk about them exaggerating
by: Anonymous

Question: So I completed my form in early days of June with BC, ID, SSC etc. I get a letter saying it's insufficient because I needed proof that's 5+ years older than I've been living in California. I only have about 4 years and some. Luckily for me, I had brought my HS diploma. I sent a copy of that. I sent other personal mail with my name, medical cards etc. And it's the 6th week (I applied routine). I'm supposed to leave August 5th and it's July 22 I'm so stressed out because I received a 2nd letter saying it's not enough. I was born here in the US and now I have to send baptism document, first year of immunizations document, my older brother's BC. It's getting to be too much and my mom lives in another state. She won't be able to send the documents till Monday I feel lost. Help!

Answer: Since you only have a little over two weeks before your travel date, we recommend you visit the nearest regional agency next week. Take the documents your mother sends and proof of travel. Arrive well before the agency opens. In California, there are processing centers in Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco. You will have to pay the expedited service fee to get your passport there. There is no guarantee that you will be issued a passport the same day. You may have to return to the agency to pick it up or you can request that it be sent by overnight delivery for an additional fee.

Duplicate documents?
by: BrandieN

Question: I submitted all required documents, including a certified Court Order. Why am I receiving the form letter stating that I need to submit the exact documents that were included with the original application?

Answer: Please call 1-877-487-2778 toll-free to speak with a customer service representative.

Passport delay
by: Anonymous

Question: We just recently sent additonal docs for my son's passport! The post office person did not help and direct us on the exact docs that had to be original so we had to send in extra. It has now been 4-5 weeks and no passport yet!! Very frustrating to note that no status updates when we call other than being processed! How long does it take!?

Answer: Routine service is estimated to take 4-5 weeks. It can take longer when additional documents are requested. It is impossible to say how much longer since we do not have access to the application or documents. If you need to get your son's passport quickly due to an international trip, you might request expedited service and overnight delivery of the new passport. To make this request, call 1-877-487-2778. If you need the passport within a few day, we recommend you visit the nearest regional passport agency.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Supporting Documents for Passports FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!