COVID-19 UPDATE: Travel restrictions and other information for U.S. Passport holders.

What is the process to renew my 17 year old son's passport in Mexico?

by Mario
(Villahermosa, Mexico)

Question: I only have his old passport and social security card as a proof of citizenship. He has lived in Mexico with me since he was two years old and I am a Mexican citizen. He is American.

We had his birth certificate changed and added my last name about 5 years ago but his old expired passport showed his old name.

Answer: Passports issued to minors cannot be renewed by mail. Your son must apply for a new passport in person. For those between aged 16-17, only one parent needs to accompany the child. In order to get the passport in Mexico, you need to submit:

* your son's original or certified birth certificate that shows the parent(s') name(s);

A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note, some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes.

* proof of your son's U.S. citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization certificate;

* current photo identification of the child and both parents.

* a photocopy of the identification documents.

* a recent passport-style photo that are 2X2 inches.

* by federal law, applicants must provide a Social Security number if they have one.

You must schedule an appointment at the nearest U.S. Consulate General and submit the documents above.

For more information, contact the U.S. Citizen Services of the U.S. Embassy's Consular Services in Mexico by email.


Return to Passport for Travel to Mexico.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!