This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Traveling Minor

by Alek Guerrero
(Austin, TX, United States)

Question: If a father is taking his minor child out of the country, and the parents are still legally married, does the mother have to sign a consent form? If so, what is the title of the consent form or letter? How long does it take to get verified? What are the reasons of having to sign a consent or letter?

Answer: Yes, the mother should sign a consent form which the father should carry with him at all times while traveling abroad with minor children.

The travel consent takes only a few minutes to fill out. Then you must have it notarized. This can usually be done at a county clerk's office. It does not take long. Click the link below for an example form.

Minor Travel Consent Form

The purpose of the consent form is to prove to foreign authorities that the minor has permission to travel with you and is not the victim of international child abduction.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.