Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports may take up to 18 weeks for routine service and 12 weeks for expedited processing.

Renew passport for 19 year old daughter away at college

by Sherry
(Chester,MD USA)

Question: My older daughter is getting married in Costa Rica November 6th. My 19-year-old daughter is her maid-of-honor. She is attending Oklahoma University.

I live in Maryland and have her passport here in Maryland. I happened to look at it and saw it expired last May 3. I did not realize minor's passports were only good for 5 years.

I can mail her passport to her in Oklahoma, but want to make sure she will be able to get a new passport by November 4th (her flight is Nov 4). What will she need to get her new passport and can she just go to a post office in Oklahoma? Thank you for your help.

Answer: Your daughter should appear in person at a passport application acceptance facility and submit a completed, unsigned Form DS-11 along with evidence of citizenship, proof of identity, a copy of the ID, one passport photo and payment.

She is not required to submit her most recently issued passport although it can be used to prove her U.S. citizenship. She can also use her original birth certificate or a certified copy for this, making it unnecessary to show the old passport.

Routine passport processing takes 4-6 weeks so she should get her new passport in plenty of time for her trip if she applies soon.

If he prefers to get her passport faster, she can request expedited service. There is an additional $60 for this service but she will get her passport in 2-3 weeks.

For more information , click the appropriate links below.

How to Get a New Passport

Oklahoma Passport Offices

Comments for Renew passport for 19 year old daughter away at college

Click here to add your own comments

US passport renewal of a 19-year-old
by: Anonymous

Question: My daughter is studying in the U.S. and visiting India for 20 days. Her passport expires in June 2019. How do I get her passport renewed (from 5 year minor to 10 year adult) at Chennai. How long does it take to get her passport as she is in India only 20 days.

Answer: Your daughter may apply for her new passport while she is in the U.S. Since she is already of legal age, there is no need for parental consent or presence. She may also apply for her passport at the U.S. Consulate General in Chennai. Processing takes approximately 2 weeks.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!