This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Recently divorced and changed back to maiden name

by Stephanie
(Portland, OR, USA)

Question: I still have my old driver's license and old bank debit card with my married name and my new license and bank debit card with changed name. My checkbook still has my married name on it. The bank said that doesn't matter since they go by bank account number, not name.

I'm wondering if the same goes for my passport.
My passport has my married name on it. It doesn't expire until 2017 so I'd rather not get a new one if possible. I also want to keep the stamps from past trips.

My friend and I want to take a weekend trip to Vancouver, BC, Canada (we live in the Pacific Northwest) and I'm wondering if I can provide my birth certificate and divorce papers along with my old/new licenses and passport and still be able to cross the border there and back?
Or is it necessary that I get a new passport?
What should I do?

I thank you ahead of time for your advice.


You must travel with your passport in your current legal name. If your name has been legally changed due to divorce, then you should apply for a passport name change before you travel.

Since the passport was issued more than one year ago, you need to apply for a passport renewal using form DS-82 and include evidence of the name change such as the official divorce decree.

You also need to submit one recent passport photo and your current passport. The passport will be returned to you along with the new one.

The application process takes 4-6 weeks for routine service. You can request that it be expedited and receive the passport in 2-3 weeks. If you need to have the name changed more quickly, then you can either visit the Seattle Passport Agency or employ the services of a professional passport expediter.

Comments for Recently divorced and changed back to maiden name

Click here to add your own comments

Do I get my original documents back?
by: Anonymous

Question: If I send in the passport with the application form and the original divorce decree will I get the original documents back? Frankly this makes me nervous to send off such an important document.

Answer: The documents you send with your passport application will be returned to you once the process is completed.

Applying for New Passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I am recently divorced and went back to my maiden name, I have my birth certificate, driver's license, and social security card with my maiden name, instead of sending in a certified copy or original divorce decree, can I just apply for a new passport?

Answer: Yes, you may simply apply for a new passport.

name changes
by: Anonymous

Question: My passport is in my ex-husbands name. I got name changed to maiden name then, before I could change my passport, got remarried and have a new legal name. I have already changed ss# to new married name. Do I have to file 2 forms; one for maiden name and another for new married name? Also what is the fee?

Question: You only need to apply to change the name in your passport one time. Submit both your divorce decree and new marriage certificate with the application form and other required documents.

The form you submit depends on when your current passport was issued and whether or not you can submit evidence of the legal name change. The fee also varies depending on which form you submit. Click the links below for more information.

How to Apply for a Passport Name Change

List of Passport Fees

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.